Win32 Book Question

Started by
8 comments, last by C plus noob 18 years, 4 months ago
i've been looking at some books on amazon... Win32 Programming and Programming Windows, Fith Edition. the published dates for these books are in the late 90's does that mean i cant use these as resources to program under Windows XP? im thinking of buying them soon so i just want to know if i could even use them. If i can't what would be some books like these (just as good if not better) that i should consider buying? // lessbread edit - fixed links
Advertisement
win32 in 98 is basically the same as win32 in XP. Of course, always check msdn for the latest updates.
The Petzold book is the bible of Win32 programming. It's too bad there's no paperback version available. Consider purchasing a used copy and maybe save yourself $10.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
thanks for the edits lessbread!

well im just looking for some books i can use to whats the word... enhance and enrich (more than one word i know) my knowledge of the Win32 API
so should io buy petzolds book for Windows XP programming???
I think it's a good book to have. I can't speak to the other book.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I have both and id say get the Petzold book its written a lot better and as the others have pointed out its basically the "Win32 Bible"
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
BUT will it work for XP?
Quote:Original post by C plus noob
BUT will it work for XP?

Yes. All versions of windows can be programmed for using the Win32 API, but there are sertain features found only on a WinNT derivative(nt,2k,xp....) machine and not on 98, ME, 95.... Just remember to check MSDN when in doubt.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement