VS7.1 & VS8 Coexistance - VS7.1 Random Crashes

Started by
3 comments, last by MikeWW 18 years, 4 months ago
I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with VS7.1 coexisting with the new, free VS8? I installed the C++ component for VS8 a couple of days ago but have yet to actually use it. Since then VS7.1 keeps crashing - seemingly randomly although slightly more often when doing a "find in files". I'm going to uninstall VS8 for now and hope that that solves the problem but has anyone seen this themselves or know of any solution to it? Thanks in advance, Mike.
Advertisement
If it's a blue screen you're getting, check the following things:

- You're not running ZoneAlarm's Firewall.
- Your nVidia drivers are the latest.

Uh, there's more, but I forget them. You have to uninstall the ZoneAlarm stuff too, you can't just disable it (it's the TrueVector thingy running in the background that causes the conflict).

It's all caused by conflicts between those few things and .Net framework 2.0. Mainly involving file accessing.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Using the two together works fine for me. No crashes.
I too have both installed currently with no conflicts.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The crash is just VS7.1 crashing with the normal XP "The program has crashed, do you want to send info about this to Microsoft" dialog being displayed.

I have uninstalled VS8 now but I have yet to use VS7.1 for enough time to tell if the problem has gone away.

I'm not using ZoneAlarm and I have an ATI gfx part, so no luck there although what _goat mentioned about .NET 2.0 and file accessing sounds like a likely cause (although I think I already had the .NET 2.0 libraries installed). I will investigate. As both versions seem to run fine for others it must be a clash with something fairly unusual I have installed...not sure what that could be though.

Thanks for the help,

Mike.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement