Adobe Photoshop CS2

Started by
6 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 4 months ago
I recently got my hands on a copy of CS2 from work, and due to our licencing agreement, was able to install it on my home pc. But something seems to be in error. When I used to use photoshop 7, tga's were able to display an alpha channel. But in cs2, the alpha channel doesnt register, so when I save a tga, the alpha channel disapears. And images I have created previously are now totally messed up. CS2 is 'made for' service pack 2, which I dont have on my pc. Is this what could be causing it? Thanks Daisy

Dave
I only have Photoshop CS, but I have the same problem with alpha channels disappearing. It worked one second, and then never worked again.

However, if I edit a targa with an already existing alpha channel, it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

It's really a pain, as it forced me to create two images: one RGB, and one grayscale for the alpha. They then had to be recombined in Paintshop Pro.

I have SP2, by the way.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I didn't have time at the time (rush work to complete Paranoia for the 4E4 Contest) to check out Adobe's site (that, and the fact that their help for Premiere is completely useless!). Now that I have...

Alpha channel is missing from Targa file save...

The link isn't for CS or CS2, but the same advice is probably good just the same. Download any updates, and grab the targa plug-in.

Quote: The Targa plug-in included with Photoshop 6.x and earlier saves the alpha channel of a Targa file into the fourth channel. The Targa plug-in included with Photoshop 7.0, however, saves transparency information into the fourth channel. Consequently, Photoshop 7.0 doesn't let you save an alpha channel with Targa files.

The updated Targa plug-in, which is included with Photoshop 7.0.1, enables Photoshop 7.x to save an alpha channel in a Targa file and save a Photoshop 6.x Targa file without losing the alpha channel.

Or, maybe not.

Quote:This Plug-in is designed only for Adobe Photoshop 7.0. It will not
work with previous versions of Photoshop.
Yeah I did have a look at the website, and as Avatar God said, the only tga issue relates to photoshop 7 (I am sure you guys know, but CS2 is photoshop 9).

Nothing on the site about photoshop 9 and targa alpha channels unfortunatly.

Daisy

I've had some problems with CS2 and TGA but I couldn't remember how I was doing in the previous version so I'll just tell what I've done (since I can't make a comparison with another version).

First, the only way it worked was when I created a channel for my alpha and painted what alpha I needed. I just can't remember how it was done before, but I don't exactly remember creating an alpha channel manually maybe I did but it's too long ago.

Once my alpha is created and tested it in the game. I had some problems I couldn't really understand. The alpha was reversed as I had inverted the channel or there were no alpha. Everytime I faced such problems I just deleted the channel and created a new one (and it's really not what you want). I didn't find other solutions since I was in a rush and didn't looked at it since then.

JFF

PS. Also make sure the alpha is selected when you save your tga file.
Yeah, I mean you just go to channels and click the create new channel button, and stick with the default name.

I don't have time to check now, but I may have not had the Alpha channel selected when I saved... but that seems weird. Nobody wants to see the red/pink alpha when you're looking at the image; you ought to be able to just save it. Anyways, I'll check, and, if you're right, I will slap Adobe and bow down to you, jff!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement