Windows Programming Woes

Started by
3 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 4 months ago
A quick question... I bought a couple windows programming books and I always find myself getting to the point where I'm trying to compile there windows and I always get a compiler error and in the one book where I don't get that error (programming role playing games with direct x) the learning curve is a bit steep. I.E. it goes from nothing to a shit load and to top it off a lot of the source code examples don't tell you how you'd actually implement them in the code, it just pops up and says , oh yes..do look at this code...which if your a newb to windows programming all you can think is "WTF?!" So my question is, are there any descent game programming books out there? (I believe two of my books are on the list from the page on here with book recomendations). But I still think they got glitches and the like in them.. Or perhaps my mind just isn't meant to program in windows? :: goes back to his text adventures in the meantime :: :-D
Charles
Advertisement
Post your compiler errors, chances are you are doing something wrong. (Of course, some books do get published occasionally where the programs weren't checked...)
i was actually just checking for any book recomendations ;) I hate posting compiler errors because I feel border line retarded. The compiler is telling me what's wrong, I should be able to figure it out yet it just doesn't happen... Though I might in another thread if I can get over my shame about it... LOL
Charles
Sorry that I don't have any specific recommendations. What I do want to say is that rather than spend even more money on books with probably only marginal benefit to you, you should consider ironing out the problems you are running into, which are probably related to missing headers or include statements, or missing libraries, or some typo of yours, or stuff like that. From my limited experience with the visual c++ compiler (been a few years since), I remember that most errors I ever got never had anything to do with the actual problem -_-;;;. Depending on what you're doing, you also might have to have the platform sdk or the directx sdk installed.
You also might want to take a look at SDL. It's much easier to get something up and running - with a few simple function calls it handles the Direct X stuff for you. It also makes crossplatform (Mac, Linux, etc) development easier and is a good fit with OpenGL (though crossplatform code and OpenGL may or may not be all that important to you).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement