Need To Get Started.....

Started by
10 comments, last by kaydash 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello! I have experience with java and C, I've created a small project in C. I want to start developing games using OpenGL. I know from the BEGINNERS arena that I have to master C++. So can anyone help me out with the libraries and version of the software I should be using?
I Have Awoken.
Advertisement
You don't need C++ for OpenGL. C works too.
What's meant is that you have to have a good grasp of C/C++ (whichever you use), because otherwise, you won't be able to make sense of an API like OpenGL.

1) There is nothing inherently object-oriented about opengl, so c++ is not really a requirement, as Spoonbender pointed out already.
2) If you already know java, then you can even use opengl in java through one of the bindings (lwjgl, jogl, etc). There is little difference between usage of those bindings and the code examples in the red book, so very little additional effort is required to understand the examples - even if your exposure to C would be minimal.
3) You can of course use C to program opengl, but C might not be such a good choice for a complex project such as a game.
Well, where I started is where you could start too. I started in C and migrated to C++ for some advanced features,... which I still can't seam to find/get working (networking, OpenGL, _colored text_). It looks like I need to shell out the cash for a real GUI like one from borland because the free ware is holding me back.

Second, what do you want to make? A FPS (first person shooter), a RTS (real time stratigy), a RPGMMO (role play game, massive multiplayer online), or a clasic game like a side scroller, or mud (multi user dungeon) or what?

My knowledge is along the muds to rpg's. I've got two good years of experience in game writing, and I can help guild you in the right direction for your first few steps. (or atleast, that's what I like to believe :))
BladeStoneOwner, WolfCrown.com
nehe.gamedev.net is the best for c / opengl info. If you have not checked it out you should
Jacob Hammackhttp://www.hammackj.com
OpenGL is pretty procedural if you ask me. You'll be fine using C as you're starting to use it and make simple games.
Hey Everyone Thanks for the Info.

I intend to start off with FPS and then Third person RPG combo(If I succeed)!
I'll start working on C++ right away, hopefully in the fall break I can get a good hang of it. Either way, I'm going to study Data structures in C next semester in College, anyway.
I was wondering what language & its version game developers are using these days(OpenGL is particular)? I've been using Turbo C, which is DOS based and seems a bit outdated!
I don't want to use java, for some reason I don't like it!!
I Have Awoken.
Quote:Original post by kaydash
I was wondering what language & its version game developers are using these days(OpenGL is particular)? I've been using Turbo C, which is DOS based and seems a bit outdated!
I don't want to use java, for some reason I don't like it!!

O_o. Well, what's the "some reason"?

Developers use a language and toolchain suited for development for their target platform ^_^. For pc/console high-profile titles that seems to be Visual Studio and C++, currently. Some smaller indie games are being developed with java and an IDE such as Eclipse, NetBeans, JDeveloper, JBuilder, or the like. Small games for mobile platforms supporting j2me would be written in java, and in C/C++ for handhelds such as pocketpc running some version of Windows. As mentioned before, OpenGL is not all that language-specific to a large degree, although it can be used directly from C/C++

Well I'll settle with C++, anyone with an idea of which version is the best?
I Have Awoken.
Microsoft has recently released Visual C++ 2005 Express for free (if you download it within a year since release), a very good Win32 compiler with a pretty glittering IDE. You'll also need to download and install the Platform SDK, you can find detailed instructions here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement