How to learn C++?

Started by
12 comments, last by dpadam450 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey I was wondering what people think the best way to learn C++. Thanks
Advertisement
The best way to learn anything is to practice it. Get yourself a good book or two on it, and practice a lot with the material. If they give you an example program, then tweak it as much as you can. What should be going through your mind should be something like, "I wonder what will happen if I do THIS? Or what if I do THAT, then THIS, and add THOSE?"

That's the best way to learn any programming language, by practicing and experimenting.
I recommend the book Accelerated C++, but you should also get a teacher/mentor who has a lot of C++ experience under their belt. Having someone to answer your questions is pretty important. And asking some questions on forums is often not as good since you'll also get a lot of people who don't know C++ that well giving you half baked answers.
I suggest reading up the basic syntax, variable creation etc and then giving youself some simple takss to complete.

I found the best way of learning was to look up what i needed to know. Thes thigns tend to be most common.

Dave
From a skillful, knowledgable, dedicated teacher.

Hard to find those though...
I was looking at a book called Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours, what do you think of that. For a mentor, Im in a small town not many people program
Learn by making fun programs you would use yourself. Small little games, tools are quicky finished so you don't die of boredom but will teach you enough to keep growing. I'd suggest starting with command line tools as well. Don't worry about any fancy gaphics or windows coding until you know the basics.
Quote:Original post by kilonum
I was looking at a book called Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours, what do you think of that. For a mentor, Im in a small town not many people program

I usually don't recommend any of those "Teach Yourself x in 24 hours" for programming, because there is no possible way that you could ever learn a language in 24 hours (well, unless your IQ is like, 250 or something, but how many people are like that). I started programming when I was 9 years old, I'm 15 today (I'll be 16 in March), and I'm still learning a lot about C++. I suggest the book SiCrane presented, but hey, it's your choice.

For a mentor, you could always find somebody to talk to over MSN. I'm usually available (unless I'm coding or studying for exams or doing homework or something like that), but I'm usually available on the weekends. My MSN is thegrogen@hotmail.com, if you want my advice on anything.
You live in a small town you say? So not many programmers around to help you...thats why the internet was created! Just get someone's AIM s/n and your good to go.
Well i dont intend to learn in 24 hours i just though it would be a good reference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement