Sign in to follow this  

Game Engine Design

This topic is 4392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi again, Its been a while since I posted here, but I was wondering if i wanted to create a game engine, what kinda things would i need to include in it? E.g Graphics Engine -Reading in Tile Data -Displaying Tiles etc. etc. Sorry for the kinda stupid question, but i'm just curious what the norm is i guess. Thanks all

A basic wrapper for things such as initialisation, device capabilities, creating primitives (a simple function to create a box for instance) file loaders...

matrices
GUI

what sort of game were you thinking of?

since you mentioned tiles I'll point you to this tutorial:

http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/index.html

this is an excellent tutorial series if you want to make a tilebased game. you see it's for Flash but shouldn't be hard to adapt to C++ or whatever language you prefer.

Well my 'dream' is to make an RPG, so i guess that, but i'm not sure that i know enough to make an RPG. It's just I would like a kinda 'guideline' that I could work through based on what someone else has done, I guess it sounds kinda weird but I don't wanna keep making a mess and having to start again when I realise i should have done this differently or I don't need this or whatever.

This topic is 4392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.