number of tests

Started by
5 comments, last by Endar 18 years, 4 months ago
I've written a dynamic array class for C++, and I just recently added an insert function. I'm just wondering how many tests I should put it through to test the insert function. Would you generally do a single test for each of the special cases and then one of the general case? This is what I ended up doing. I started the list off with 5 elements (integers, 0-4) and then inserted at the end, at the start and in the middle. Do you think that these tests would be enough considering that I have already tested the rest of the class and have confirmed it's correctness?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
I'd also throw in a test with a class type to make sure that you aren't leaking memory or double deleting or similar non-kosherness.
What if the array is empty? Also, what if the array needs to be resized?

CM
Do you have removal operations as well?
Don't forget to gracefully handle attempts to do stupid things such as pop_front with no items in the array.

[grin]!I think the best test is posting it on a message board and let 1000s of others pick holes in it![grin]
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
All the other functions (push_back, erase, resize, etc) have been written and are working and I'm actually using it in my current project, a simple graphics engine.

It's just that I've always used push_back or just resized it and accessed the elements manually, because there's never been a need for anything else.

So, it was just on the insert function I was wondering about the number of tests.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote:Original post by Endar
I've written a dynamic array class for C++...

Everyone already knows that I'm going to post it and I'd hate to disappoint, so without further ado:

Why? What's wrong with std::vector?

Enigma
Absolutely nothing.

There was a fairly good reason as to why I was using it early on that I can't remember as it is midnight here, but later on it just became ingrained with the rest of my code, and since it was all working, I couldn't really find a compelling reason to go and re-write a whole bunch of code for what seemed to be fairly negligible rewards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement