Sign in to follow this  

Shader: Multipass texturing and shadowmaps

This topic is 4390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After I have made multipass texturing (more precisely, it is for terrain "splatting"), I have no idea what the pixel color at a certain location is - I only know what it is at the last pass. This is due to the alpha-component, that lets earlier passes "shine through". Is there any way that I can know what the "total" color is at a certain location? I need to know this, so I can mix the shadow with the right (total) color. I thought of maybe rendering the entire scene to a texture first, to store the colors there, but that seems a bit cumbersome... Is this how it is normally done, or is there an easier solution? [Edited by - Mercenarey on December 4, 2005 9:48:07 PM]

I actually just implemented something along these same lines for a shadow map shader. I create an 'illumination' buffer that shows how illuminated each pixel in the current scene is. This is used to combine all light input into a single buffer, including the effects of shadows.

Once all lights have been combined, then I use that buffer to modulate the normally shaded scene. I still have some work to do, but it seems to be working out fairly well.

So in your scenario, you would splat as normal, but each splat would be modulated by the illumination buffer.

This topic is 4390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.