What terrain rendering technology is used in the game BFME?

Started by
1 comment, last by Funkymunky 18 years, 4 months ago
What terrain rendering technology is used in the game BFME? Hi, All, I am really shocked by the game battle for the middle earth (BFME) and its follower BFME 2 (huh:). I am also long interested in the 3D RTS game development and have already written a simple Warcraft 3 map viewer. If I can write an applet to render BFME-like terrain (including lands, moutains, grass, rivers and buildings), it's realy execiting:) So, could any one give me some advice on how what terrain rendering technology is used in BFME and where to get related papers/documents/materials and even some reference source code. Thanks all.
Advertisement
Hmm, seems there is little interesting in 3D RTS engine:(
I have played with the BFME map editor for a while and
it seems use heightmap just like the Warcraft 3. But
is there more info?
There are a lot of terrain techniques depending on your target application. For your RTS, you probably don't need to focus too much on LOD(Level of Detail) techniques since most RTS's look down on the terrain(LOD is more suited to games where you can see really far distances). You could probably get away with just using a heightmap, although a quadtree/array of mesh tiles might make things a little more efficient. Terrain is a HUGE topic, so check out this if you're really interested, and this if you just want to get the basics down.
(this and this are the very basics)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement