Sign in to follow this  
sakky

cheap animation

sakky    100
Okay, I just slapped together this md2 viewer that ets me run the md2 around using 3rd person style controls. Nothing to fansty, but it’s sortt of funny watching it. The code is horrible because I just slapped the animation parrt of it in. Well, my question is, or more a request, what kind of animation tricks do you use for 3d meshes to make there movement look more real? I mean for speeds and stuff like that. Do you pulsate at all? I was thinking about animating the runn speed with the keyframing so it looked like the model was actually taking steps. I would be so glad if some of uyou shared a few tricks, so that I may lear from.

Endar    668
Quote:

I was thinking about animating the runn speed with the keyframing so it looked like the model was actually taking steps.

You're using interpolation, right?

Anyway, to look more real? Not really sure since I only just finished my md2 loader. But, I don't think that there's a lot you can do to make it look more "real" without either more precise animation, which would take more space, or skeletal animtion with bones.

sakky    100
This has nothing to do with modeling. It programming! I interpolate between the frames, yes. Bit I'm talking about the actual code the plays the animation and usesed the models. I was thinking that it would look cooler if the walking speed was animated also so that it would jump with the animation. You are right though, you're pretty limited with just key frames and no skeleton data.

swiftcoder    18426
Quote:
Original post by sakky
I was thinking that it would look cooler if the walking speed was animated also so that it would jump with the animation.

I think that the model you are using is poorly animated, a well animated model should be keyframed to provide the varying speed of movement in each step.

sakky    100
I'm using the Hob Goblin model from some of these tutorials. But what I'm talking about is the physical movement (physics) of the model. Not the actual animation composed in a 3D modeling software kit.

What I'm trying to describe is the movement of a model while being animated. For exmaple, you press the 'UP' key, the model should move forward. During this movement, the model is animated to look more realistic or what ever. The process of position = position + speed, is what I'm talking about, the actuall movement, not animation!!

What I was asking advice for is how abouts some of you would accomplish this. My original idea that I was decribing would be to pulsate the speed. This would increase the realism because the model would look as if it were actually taking steps, not just sliding across a ground animating.

swiftcoder    18426
Quote:
Original post by sakky
What I was asking advice for is how abouts some of you would accomplish this. My original idea that I was decribing would be to pulsate the speed. This would increase the realism because the model would look as if it were actually taking steps, not just sliding across a ground animating.

That would method would get my vote, but you would really need a value for the stride length of each model, or even better a distance delta value attached to each keyframe.