Sign in to follow this  
derek7

I wanna do game tool and editor

derek7    100
now I almost finish my little engine.I wanna do tool and editor for it. So what is good suggestion for newbie? I have some basic windows theory knowledge, know how it work. MFC or VCL or c++ building is good choice?

Iftah    413
MFC is c++ classes for win32 api. dont bother with it.

use C#:
- its faster to create programs in it
- faster to learn it
- more beautiful gui
- no memory leaks
- more powerful classes built in.
- more powerful language features built in.
- in some years MFC will be obsolete and C# will be the standard.

Iftah.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd personally go with Java. It's portable to many platforms, has solid OpenGL with JOGL, and is very mature technology now. Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.

ZQJ    496
Well, whatever you go with, DON'T USE MFC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I've yet to hear a good word about it.

Dave Hunt    4872
As I recall, derek7's engine is Windows/DirectX based, so Java/OpenGL probably wouldn't be a good choice.

I would second the C# suggestion. You get easy-to-use windows controls and managed DirectX.

If you need access to your engine code, then you would probably want to stick with C++, but you could build a simple wrapper to access your engine from C#.

If you go with C++, then you might want to look at using .NET Forms. This would give you access to the same windows controls as you would get with C#.

smr    2468
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
... Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.

C# is free (mono, dotgnu or microsoft's (free as in beer)), and doesn't need Windows (mono, dotgnu).

The other reasons presented are matters of opinion that I happen to disagree with.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by smr
Quote:
... Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.

C# is free (mono, dotgnu or microsoft's (free as in beer)), and doesn't need Windows (mono, dotgnu).

The other reasons presented are matters of opinion that I happen to disagree with.

Yeah, well who cares what *you* think anyways.

c# is a yet-another bad rip-off from the biggest scammers in the industry.

Bnty_Hntr    187
Quote:
Original post by ZQJ
Well, whatever you go with, DON'T USE MFC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I've yet to hear a good word about it.

That is entirely not true. I've worked with MFC quite extensively and, although it's not the MOST user-friendly thing to work in, it is not as horrible as you might think. It just takes some getting used to.

Skeleton_V@T    512
I personally like working with traditional Windows apps (and never used C#). Creating windows via CreateWindow () and pumping messages are not that hard/confusing/slo-mo as rumored. With resource editor, message crackers and MSDN before hand, I can get a not-so-simple window working as fast as using Visual Basic or Java themselves, and as 10 times fast as using MFC (I'm terribly clumsy with its interface, simply _hate_ that).

Create your tools in your language of choice, my suggest is traditional Win32 app and Visual Basic (C# ? Sadly I dont't know).

ZMaster    240
I would suggest you to go with .NET and WinForms. It's probably the best choice if you want to easily put together a Win32 GUI application.
If you're already experienced in C++ it shouldn't be a problem for you to use that language, it's also probably the most powerful of all .NET languages.
But you could choose C# or VB as well, they should both fit your needs here.

But that's just my two cents...

demonkoryu    980
Quote:
Original post by ZQJ

MFC isn't a nuke. It just sucks. [grin]

Seriously, MFC is really ok for larger MDI applications (including editors).

demonkoryu    980
Quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
If you need access to your engine code, then you would probably want to stick with C++, but you could build a simple wrapper to access your engine from C#.

If you go with C++, then you might want to look at using .NET Forms. This would give you access to the same windows controls as you would get with C#.

You can use C++/CLI to wrap your engine in a .NET assembly and code the editor in C#, best of both worlds.
However, I haven't tried that yet, so I may be just talking out of my bottox.

demonkoryu    980
Quote:

Please, don't get me started on Java. It... could have been... better.

Quote:
Original post by smr

The problem is that Mono currently implements only a minuscule portion of the full .NET class library. Especially WinForms are severly lacking.

demonkoryu    980
Quote:

I have no guts but I can shit! [...]
Microsoft isn't 'evil'. They are just a successful company.
Besides, Gates and Microsoft belong to the world's greatest donors.

smr    2468
Quote:

Could ask you the same question... Perhaps you've forgotten what forums are for. Let me remind you. define:forum

Quote:

The problem is that Mono currently implements only a minuscule portion of the full .NET class library. Especially WinForms are severly lacking.

I agree with that, but it's getting better. As long as things keep up as they are, we can expect our .NET apps to run under mono sometime in the foreseeable future.

ketek    132
MFC does well its job, at first it may look overkill, but after few months of intensive programming, someone begins to understands the software philosophy under it, i agree with the people that think that mfc is bloated with many many classes and functions and it is virtually impossible to program anything without a good reference book or continuosly peeking the help window.
i don't think that c# will kill mfc programmers and applications, surely MFC will disappear but not before 10 years from now.
Microsoft looks like very addicted to mfc.

JohnBSmall    881
Quote:
Original post by ketek
Microsoft looks like very addicted to mfc.

Not any more. You're right that MFC will stick around for a long time, because of the amount of code that uses it, but Microsoft isn't pushing it any more.

John B

Simagery    732
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by smr

Wowzer, that's the worst case of trolling that I've seen in quite a while... of course, it's easy to be rude, insulting and disruptive as an anonymous coward.

C# is clearly not a rip-off, Microsoft are clearly not scammers, and folks with attitudes like yours (whoever you may be) are simply not welcomed in these forums.

[Edited by - Simagery on December 5, 2005 1:54:15 PM]

Sander    1332
Quote:

Hearing other people's opinion is the cornerstone of a good discussion and of discussion forums. Now be off.

At the OP: Please repost if you think your question has not been answered properly.

kSquared    1356
I'm really disappointed that certain unsavory elements will hide behind the shield of anonymity to attack the viewpoints of others for inexplicable reasons. We allow anonymous posting in this forum in part to encourage dialogue without requiring the extra hoop of registration, not to allow you to snipe others at will.

I would like to emphasize that I'm very proud of the intelligent and thoughtful answers that most of the posters here generate (to say nothing of the intriguing questions we so often get!), and that I understand the vast, overwhelming majority of you are not jerks. Still, those few bad apples cast a bad light on the whole barrel of us, myself included. Consequently, I encourage everyone to take full advantage of the post moderation system to report obvious flames, because it's certainly not tolerated.

your friendly neighborhood GP moderator,
-- k2