I wanna do game tool and editor

Started by
19 comments, last by kSquared 18 years, 4 months ago
now I almost finish my little engine.I wanna do tool and editor for it. So what is good suggestion for newbie? I have some basic windows theory knowledge, know how it work. MFC or VCL or c++ building is good choice?
Advertisement
MFC is c++ classes for win32 api. dont bother with it.

use C#:
- its faster to create programs in it
- faster to learn it
- more beautiful gui
- no memory leaks
- more powerful classes built in.
- more powerful language features built in.
- in some years MFC will be obsolete and C# will be the standard.

Iftah.
I'd personally go with Java. It's portable to many platforms, has solid OpenGL with JOGL, and is very mature technology now. Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.
Well, whatever you go with, DON'T USE MFC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I've yet to hear a good word about it.
As I recall, derek7's engine is Windows/DirectX based, so Java/OpenGL probably wouldn't be a good choice.

I would second the C# suggestion. You get easy-to-use windows controls and managed DirectX.

If you need access to your engine code, then you would probably want to stick with C++, but you could build a simple wrapper to access your engine from C#.

If you go with C++, then you might want to look at using .NET Forms. This would give you access to the same windows controls as you would get with C#.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
... Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.

C# is free (mono, dotgnu or microsoft's (free as in beer)), and doesn't need Windows (mono, dotgnu).

The other reasons presented are matters of opinion that I happen to disagree with.
Quote:Original post by smr
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
... Plus, it's free, and you don't need Windows or expensive tools, and it's much easier, cleaner and better than C#.

C# is free (mono, dotgnu or microsoft's (free as in beer)), and doesn't need Windows (mono, dotgnu).

The other reasons presented are matters of opinion that I happen to disagree with.

Yeah, well who cares what *you* think anyways.

c# is a yet-another bad rip-off from the biggest scammers in the industry.
Quote:Original post by ZQJ
Well, whatever you go with, DON'T USE MFC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I've yet to hear a good word about it.

That is entirely not true. I've worked with MFC quite extensively and, although it's not the MOST user-friendly thing to work in, it is not as horrible as you might think. It just takes some getting used to.
- Bnty_HntrCome visit Triple Buffer, a great source for DirectX and other tutorials.Check out my Blog.Or, join Triple Buffer by checking out our Help Wanted post.
I personally like working with traditional Windows apps (and never used C#). Creating windows via CreateWindow () and pumping messages are not that hard/confusing/slo-mo as rumored. With resource editor, message crackers and MSDN before hand, I can get a not-so-simple window working as fast as using Visual Basic or Java themselves, and as 10 times fast as using MFC (I'm terribly clumsy with its interface, simply _hate_ that).

Create your tools in your language of choice, my suggest is traditional Win32 app and Visual Basic (C# ? Sadly I dont't know).
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
wx widgets or ce gui(for a "ingame" editor)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement