Animated 2D perlin noise... for water

Started by
2 comments, last by swiftcoder 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I've implemented the 2D noise and understood it very good before I started getting into the 3D noise... I want to do animated water using perlin noise. I use the noise as my height-map... now The problem is that my result looks more like morphing between the frames and not actualy moving waves... what am I missing here? Thanks Gil Amran
Advertisement
Its possible your doing something wrong in the noise generation but its also possible your not. I'd have to see the code. Problem is well 2d noise can look fine as static water 3d perline noise doesn't really simulate wave action very well and well it can look OK it usually doesn't. I suggest you look up a few other ways to simulate water waves. The faqs for the graphic theory forum has several good links in its water section. If you have trouble with those or they don't fit your particular situation post again.
AFAIK you aren't going to be able to do waves with noise due to you have to many jumps to look realistic unless you somehow connected each layer in a 3D noise array that somehow has a smooth transitiion. You might want to look on vterrain.org to look up some water ideas.
The best way would probably be to use 2D perlin noise for the initial frame, and then come up with some wave equations to animate it from there.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement