Sign in to follow this  

OpenAL or SDL sound?

This topic is 4394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm switching completely from DirectX to SDL and OGL. I know exactly what i'm going to use for each one except for the sound portion... they both seem pretty good, but what's everyone else's opinion?

Quote:
Original post by EvilKnuckles666
I'm switching completely from DirectX to SDL and OGL. I know exactly what i'm going to use for each one except for the sound portion... they both seem pretty good, but what's everyone else's opinion?

SDL_sound actually provides very little facility for playing sound, it is primarily a sound file loader, look at SDL_mixer to actually play in-game sound (you can use SDL's own sound system to play the sound, which is what SDL_mixer does, but it is a very low level API with no support for directional sound).
I would lean towards OpenAL, and use an API such as SDL_sound to load the files (OpenAL typically only loads .WAVs), as OpenAL has many more features than SDL_Mixer

wow, i just looked at FMOD and it has a very pleasing argument. Is there anywhere that there is a sample for using FMOD or a tutorial?

edit: i'm using C++ so tutorials for that would help best :-p

Quote:
Original post by EvilKnuckles666
wow, i just looked at FMOD and it has a very pleasing argument. Is there anywhere that there is a sample for using FMOD or a tutorial?

FMOD is very impressive, and works very well, but it has one major drawback: expense, FMOD is not free, and licenses are not cheap (at least from an small indie point of view).

This topic is 4394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.