OpenAL or SDL sound?

Started by
7 comments, last by BloodLust666 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm switching completely from DirectX to SDL and OGL. I know exactly what i'm going to use for each one except for the sound portion... they both seem pretty good, but what's everyone else's opinion?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
OpenAL is harder to use but has more features.
SDL_Mixer is easier but not as robust.

FMOD is the best of both worlds.
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666
I'm switching completely from DirectX to SDL and OGL. I know exactly what i'm going to use for each one except for the sound portion... they both seem pretty good, but what's everyone else's opinion?

SDL_sound actually provides very little facility for playing sound, it is primarily a sound file loader, look at SDL_mixer to actually play in-game sound (you can use SDL's own sound system to play the sound, which is what SDL_mixer does, but it is a very low level API with no support for directional sound).
I would lean towards OpenAL, and use an API such as SDL_sound to load the files (OpenAL typically only loads .WAVs), as OpenAL has many more features than SDL_Mixer

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

wow, i just looked at FMOD and it has a very pleasing argument. Is there anywhere that there is a sample for using FMOD or a tutorial?

edit: i'm using C++ so tutorials for that would help best :-p
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
GameDev has an article on it. You can google for a lot more that are avaliable too.
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666
wow, i just looked at FMOD and it has a very pleasing argument. Is there anywhere that there is a sample for using FMOD or a tutorial?

FMOD is very impressive, and works very well, but it has one major drawback: expense, FMOD is not free, and licenses are not cheap (at least from an small indie point of view).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

There is a bit more information, and links to FMod tutorials on the DevMaster Wiki.

It's a shamless plug, but I hope its useful :)
Spree
FMOD is free to use if you are not charging for your games.
that helped alot! thanks :) FMOD is now going to be used in my engine, Wrath2D, for sound ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement