book help

Started by
2 comments, last by forestlaw89 18 years, 4 months ago
I can program in c and c++.But i want to learn more.I want to learn all the libraries and functions of c/c++.Which book do you prefer?
Advertisement
That depends on how advanced you are and what you want to learn. When I was a beginner, I got C++ Primer Plus by Prata, and it was pretty good for me then. You'll want a book that deals heavily with the STL, templates and OOP if you're looking for common constructs that go beyond the typical junk in beginners' books. (Prata covers the STL, but only touches briefly on OOP and templates).

For the most part, you should be able to get away with using just websites for a lot of the syntax and basic concepts. If you want a deeper understanding of how to program, I'd recommend Design Patterns by Erich Gamma et al. for some neat techniques.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
For C, get K&R's book "The C Programming Language". Guy L Steele's "C A Reference Manual". These are all the C books you will mostly ever need. Another classic is "The Unix Programmer's Manual", which you may find interesting if you plan to use a Unix-like OS. The nice thing about all these old C books were they were very pragmatic, and actually showed you how to do useful things, unlike most books these days. You can get them dirt cheap on Amazon's bazaar these days.

C++, the only books I own on it are "C++ The Standard Library" and Bjarne Stroustrups "C++ 3rd Edition". It's probably all you will ever need. The rest you can find out online by searching the Web.
Well if you want a book on almost everything in C and C(plus plus) I suggest
BigC(plus plus). Its a book thats around 2000 pages but nearly everything about programming in Cplusplus is in there. You should check it out
"A pointerA and pointerB fell in love with the same adress"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement