DD or D3D or library for tetris clone

Started by
4 comments, last by Dave Hunt 18 years, 4 months ago
Decided to pick up some game development again after a few years absence...so gonna start with a tetris clone. So far I decided to write it in C#. Can anyone give me some input on: 1) Should I make it DirectDraw or D3D based? (Ddraw seems the obvious for tetris, but D3d might be usefull learning...maybe both?) 2) Is there a good Ddraw / D3d wrapper for C# around that you would recommend? cheers!
// Jens
Advertisement
For C# and Managed DirectX, I would use the Sprite class. It makes 2D with D3D extremely easy and gives you access to the extra features of D3D (alpha blending to name just one).

With Managed DirectX and the Sprite class, you really don't need much of a wrapper. Start with one of the C# tutorials (included in the SDK) as a base, and you should be on your way.
DirectDraw is depreciated, no loss, it wasn't any good anyhow. Actually, most of DirectX is either being depreciated(DDraw, DPlay), moved into different libraries (DShow, Dmusic, Dsound) or replaced with new components (DInput -> Xbox 360 controller API.) It won't be long before DX is nothing more than a pure graphics API as it moves from being Microsoft's multimedia library towards being Microsoft's Gaming API.

Anyhow, like dave said, the Sprite was created to ease 2D game development in D3D while still giving you all of D3D's neat benefits and capabilities.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thanks!

Not looked at it yet, but in a d3d world, how do i handle things like background image etc? just like a "big sprite"?
// Jens
Quote:Original post by JensB
Thanks!

Not looked at it yet, but in a d3d world, how do i handle things like background image etc? just like a "big sprite"?

I made an RPG in DD7 and stored a two dimensional vector of tile indicies along with the filename of the tileset for a particular map. You then blit the tile determined by the index in the vector. As for background images, the drawback to tiling them would be that you'd have to keep track of your now-chopped art assets.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Quote:Original post by JensB
Thanks!

Yep. That'll do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement