Where can I get a copy of VisualC++ 6.0

Started by
22 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Binomine
download the express edition of 2005, although you'll only get 1 year of use out of it before the trial expires.

Nope, you have it for life. Only the free download itself expires.
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
But I have one question, can I upgrade my DirectX SDK to the latest version, and expect it to work with Visual C++ 2005 Express? I suspect it will except for perhaps integrated shader debugging, but I want some assurance before downloading another SDK at 24 kbps. :p

The latest SDK will work with Express. I don't know about the shader debugging, though.
That is quite possibly the largest single rebuttle to a specific point I have ever seen.

Also, yeah - you're not going to have much luck with MSVC6. You could try downloading the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and using Codeblocks as your IDE. Apart from switching your IDEs around, or using MSVC2005, you won't have many other options for DX support with a Microsoft compiler.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Hmmm ok. What is the deal with the Visual Studio 2005 Beta Kit that I have? Does that expire?? Cause that has the fullblown version of C++ and id hate to lose it.
forestlaw89 do not get VC++ 6.0 it is now offically a defunct product with no support, VC++ 6.0 has poor standard C++ compliance because it came about during standardization of C++, barely supports templates and what support there is most of it is incorrect behaviour. Lastly due to the previous reasons (among other things) it has a poor implementation of the C++ standard library. Do not use it, this is ~9-10 year old technology things have moved alot since then if you want an MS C++ compiler do not get anything below version 7.1.
Where can I get a copy of VisualC++ 6.0?

ebay, real cheap.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
ebay, real cheap.

Not matter how cheap it is it is a waste of money you gain nothing from it, as a matter of fact you'll lose more because you will end up learning very bad habbits if you are not careful due to it's poor standard C++ compliance. It's a defunct product, don't use it period.
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
Quote:DirectX hasn't supported Visual C++ 6 for about a year now

This is actually the reason I haven't upgraded my DirectX SDK from the Summer 2004 version. However, I have recently started using Visual C++ 2005 Express and I am liking it quite a bit better (though I still have 6.0 installed so I can still use its Win32 resource editor). But I have one question, can I upgrade my DirectX SDK to the latest version, and expect it to work with Visual C++ 2005 Express? I suspect it will except for perhaps integrated shader debugging, but I want some assurance before downloading another SDK at 24 kbps. :p

that's a known problem from the man at microsoft:

I answered this on the general forum thread, but I'll repeat it here: There is currently no solution for Visual Studio 2005 that will let you debug a shader. We are working on a solution going forward, but in the meantime you must use Visual Studio 2002 or 2003 to debug shaders.

David Weller [MSFT], Community Manager, Windows Graphics and Gaming

check it out at the microsoft game forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=128185&SiteID=1
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by Megafox
Hmmm ok. What is the deal with the Visual Studio 2005 Beta Kit that I have? Does that expire?? Cause that has the fullblown version of C++ and id hate to lose it.

Yes, it expires. You'll have to buy the release version or switch to Express.
I currently use 6.0, so is there any reason for me not to download 2005 Express? Do 6.0 projects come right over, or is there lots of conversion needed?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement