Where can I get a copy of VisualC++ 6.0

Started by
22 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Sorry for such a stupid post but I went to microsoft and could'nt find a copy of visual C++ 6.0 that worked. I downloaded a install file from windows and every time I run it says visual C++ was not correctly installed. So can someone out there give me a link or some type of instructions on where I can get visualC++ 6.0 because I am trying to learn DirectX. Also don't give me links to visual C++ 2005, I don't really like that version and the book I have on directX suggest using VisualC++ 6.0.
"A pointerA and pointerB fell in love with the same adress"
Advertisement
Its probably an older book, so them telling you to use VC++ 6 is probably outdated information, if I were you, I'd try and use a newer IDE, the featues they include can be very helpful.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"~Patrick Henry
If you want Visual C++ 6.0, you're going to have to pay for it. This community doesn't take kindly to pirates ...

That said, Visual C++ 6.0 is an outdated and broken compiler. If you want to be productive and be able to write portable code, you should look elsewhere.

BTW, out of sheer curiosity, why is it you don't like Visual Studio 2005?
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Quote:Original post by stylin
If you want to be productive and be able to write portable code, you should look elsewhere.

By "elsewhere" are you including free compilers? If so, I have a question, since I am using VC++6 as well. Does Dev-C++ support all the stuff supported by Visual Studio 2005, like DirectX 9.0c? I know that VC++6 doesn't support DX9.0c because I have tried to get DX9 projects to work and in the compile log it says that DX9 isn't supported by VC++6. So thanks for any information you have.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Also, DirectX hasn't supported Visual C++ 6 for about a year now. That might be inconvenient, to say the least.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by u235
By "elsewhere" are you including free compilers? If so, I have a question, since I am using VC++6 as well. Does Dev-C++ support all the stuff supported by Visual Studio 2005, like DirectX 9.0c? I know that VC++6 doesn't support DX9.0c because I have tried to get DX9 projects to work and in the compile log it says that DX9 isn't supported by VC++6. So thanks for any information you have.

-AJ
Visual C++ 6.0 only supports DirectX 9.0b, any later and you'll have to upgrade.

AFAIR,and it's been a while, free compilers do not support DirectX 9.0. There was a change in the ToS that forbid them, but DirectX 8.1 is supported by Dev-C++.

If you need to use DirectX 9.0c, you can download the toolkit 2003 and use Codeblocks as your IDE, or else download the express edition of 2005, although you'll only get 1 year of use out of it before the trial expires.
Quote:DirectX hasn't supported Visual C++ 6 for about a year now

This is actually the reason I haven't upgraded my DirectX SDK from the Summer 2004 version. However, I have recently started using Visual C++ 2005 Express and I am liking it quite a bit better (though I still have 6.0 installed so I can still use its Win32 resource editor). But I have one question, can I upgrade my DirectX SDK to the latest version, and expect it to work with Visual C++ 2005 Express? I suspect it will except for perhaps integrated shader debugging, but I want some assurance before downloading another SDK at 24 kbps. :p
Quote:... download the express edition of 2005, although you'll only get 1 year of use out of it before the trial expires.

Not true. Read the Express FAQ on MSDN and it clearly states and reiterates, that it does not expire. What does expire in a year is the offer to get the express edition for free. Once you get it within the year the offer is made, it is yours to do as you please for as long as you please.

Read point 12
Quote:Original post by Binomine
... or else download the express edition of 2005, although you'll only get 1 year of use out of it before the trial expires.

Nope. For one year you can download the full version for free and use it forever. If you wait a year, you won't be able to download it for free anymore.
Quote:
although you'll only get 1 year of use out of it before the trial expires.

No. If you download it now you can use it indefinitly. Its part of the promotion by microsoft. If you choose to not download it now, you will have to pay $45 for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement