Sign in to follow this  
massive-war

Ok, so I'm a new artist... what should I get?

I need to make models, levels (dungeons and dark places, so I don't need anything huge like maxx or maya), and weapons. Any ideas? I'm a new artist because I have only programmed before. Thanks in advance, Massive-war

blender and the gimp ?

thoses 2 are almost as good as 3dmax and photoshop... some would argue blender is better.

they are 100% free

Try 3D Canvas. It's cheap and easy to learn and use. Really effective at modelling low-poly models. Like machines, weapons, buildings, space ships and such. Haven't tried to model landscapes and such with it though.

Blender is a relatively powerful modeling program with more features than you'd ever want to use. If you're newish to modeling, I'd recommed going with an easier to use program like Rhino. Rhino rocks you like a hurricane for NURBS modelling, but it is a tad expensive. Milkshape, 3D Canvas, and Wings3D all aren't too shabby, though I wouldn't really call any othem particularly intuitive.

Guest Anonymous Poster
DON'T GET MILKSHAPE!
Pure evil.
Blender is far superior in every way. In fact every program on earth is as far as I'm concerned. When something as good as Blender is free paying for milkshape is like burning money with a sharp stick in your eye.

I wish you could just ignore certain posts instead of all ratings below 960. Then I could just click the 'ignore' button on AP's post, there.

Anyways, I don't know why MilkShape3D is evil. It's what I started with. Made the models for the 4E3 contest with it. Simple to learn, and fairly cheap. Not nearly as powerful as the other programs out there.

Blender is great, but ridiculously hard (for many, including me) to learn.

Personally, I use 3DSMax now. Wonderful. We have Maya here too, but I didn't feel like restarting the learning process again.

Maya and 3D Studio Max are really common in academic environments because they are industry standard pieces of software. Due to this, I use Maya (my program of choice) at my uni for free. Well, its not exactly free, I kinda pay for it with my tuition. Maya Personal Learning Edition is completely free, though.

If you're a student, you can pick up an academic version of Rhino 3.0 (just released!) for $195. It is a great piece of NURBS modeling software.

Ya, but why would you buy an academic version? You might as well use something free like blender, or buy something cheap like 3D canvas and use and master it over the years until one day you can publish something without having to worry about legal issues, as you would with a student license

Well, hopefully after using an Academic piece of software for a few years you'll manage to make something worthwhile with it, and thus have an actual reason to purchase the commercial version of the software.

An Academic version of that is exactly that - an academic version, a version of a piece of software to be used to become proficient with it and to see if you really want to invest so much money into the commercial version of the software. Trust me, Blender doesn't begin to hold a light to the likes of Maya or 3D Studio Max. There is a reason they used Maya when producing Gollum for Lord of the Rings and not Blender or 3d Canvas.

Zbrush is a modeling/texturing/painting program whereas Maya and 3D Studio Max are more well, robust pieces of softwares. They do the above and have advanced animation, scripting, and rendering capabilities as well.

Using a single tool for every job isn't usually the best solution, though that still shouldn't stop you from trying to get really good with a single piece of software. Creating something in ZBrush, animating it in Maya, and then rendering it with RenderMan wouldn't at all be an atypical workflow.

So my question for you is....

What's the poly thing about? I'm just getting into 3D programming, and have absolutely no idea of the effects of polys during gameplay.

What counts are good/bad, how can I keep them low, and what's an acceptible poly count for a decent looking model.

Don't forget, my game will be single player (non-online) so I'm hoping (when I finally learn how to make it) that the non-online part of it will allow me to boost graphics a bit while still having no lag.

(correct me if I'm wrong, or feel free to comment on the above)

And how do the animations work in games? I'm not used to having meshes (rather, sprites for 2D), so how do you tell it what to do and when? Like, do you have to animate numerous different model positions and save each one as it's own mesh, and then cycle through the meshes to simulate animation in-game, or is there a simple "play" function that makes the meshes move as one object without having to call different frames of animation to do so?

And do you recommend a good program (I'm willing to spend money, just not over 1,000) that can create levels, create models, etc. that will be USEFUL to my game development plans (personally, I think milkshape is a joke)

Massive-war

It's not the most flexible or "best" solution, but if you're looking for something easy to learn, I strongly recommend Wings3D for modeling and DeleD for level editing. Both are free (DeleD has a non-free version with additional features) and don't take long to learn at all.

Quote:
Original post by massive-war
And do you recommend a good program (I'm willing to spend money, just not over 1,000) that can create levels, create models, etc. that will be USEFUL to my game development plans (personally, I think milkshape is a joke)

Massive-war

This worries me. You clearly don't know a great deal about 3D art (not a bad thing, of course everyone needs to learn) but you seem like you think milkshape doesn't do enough for you. The fact is, spending hundreds of dollars will not get you much more, at least from a gameplay standpoint. You're not going to need any non-realtime features, and paying more does not make it easier to make models. What do you think you'd get out of paying more that milkshape doesn't offer?

Ah, I don't know. Honestly. I have no idea what I want.

My problem is I'm too much of a perfectionist. I guess I feel that something like milkshape (biased because it's cheap) won't be able to create something decent, and I don't want to waste my time learning something that can't keep up to par.

I'll work till it's good, whether it's a free program or one I paid for, but I would just like life to be easier by getting a better program.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know. I'm a total noob when it comes to art, and I just want something that I can be proud of when I'm done making a model, level, whatever.

Massive-war

And what about giles? Have you guys ever take a course at gameinstitute.com?

They give you a level editor, but I'm not quite sure how good it is.

Massive-war

I'll state right now that it is going to bet damn hard for you to become proficient at 3D Graphics programming, modeling/texturing/animating 3D models, and putting the aforementioned together. I honestly don't know of anybody who is really, really good at all of the above.

I personally don't care for Milkshape3D because well, I don't like the interface. It just isn't very intuitive to me. I'm also much more interested in animating than modeling, which isn't Milkshape3D's strong point. However, as far as just being a modeler is concerned, feature-wise it really isn't all that bad. In the hands of someone who takes the time to get proficient with it, great things can come from it, as can from just about any other modeling program out there.

I can't really answer your poly count question. This depends largely upon the engine, the hardware it is being run on, and the number of different models that are going to be displayed on the screen at a time.

I'd recommend figuring out a single area that you're interested and doing a bit of research on it. I really don't think you quite realize how much goes into a quality 3D game.

Quote:
I'd recommend figuring out a single area that you're interested and doing a bit of research on it. I really don't think you quite realize how much goes into a quality 3D game.

That's it. I don't. However, I'm learning and I won't stop until I get there.

I started 3D projects because I wanted to get away from traditional 2D. Most people think the switch is easy, however, switching effectively is something totally different.

I just wanted something I could use because I'm an anxious person. When I want something, I have to have it right then and there, as with these graphics programs.

And as far as modelling, animating, etc. goes, I don't know what the difference is to tell you the truth. I don't know what the difference between animating and modeling is (besides the fact that animating is movement), and I just wanted some input on what I should get to get started.

Massive-war

(Oh, and I didn't like milkshape because of the intereface either. It just did'nt do it for me. And as for the proficient thing... I like to keep a variety. I've always been obsessed with wanting to create a level, but never have. Also, whenever I program I can't sit still for more than a couple hours doing the same thing. I have to switch it up.

For example, I'd program some input thing, then switch to working with animation sequences, then switch back. I can't do the same thing for a long period of time, and I think that's why I really want to get into the artistic part because when I'm fed up with trying to get something to work inside the core of the game, I can just take a break and make some more of a level.)

have any one looked at xsi from softimage?
I notice halflife 2 recommends it for modding its nice and have a free mod version so things can be started

I did, but it was too expensive for me. I did like the interface though.

I just didn't know if I should go with the foundation, knowing that I wasn't getting the full version.

By the way zero, thank you. Are you in the ROTC program? Either way, I HIGHLY respect the military and I congratulate you on your time in the service.

Jason Otto

Quote:
Original post by massive-war
Ah, I don't know. Honestly. I have no idea what I want.

My problem is I'm too much of a perfectionist. I guess I feel that something like milkshape (biased because it's cheap) won't be able to create something decent, and I don't want to waste my time learning something that can't keep up to par.

I'll work till it's good, whether it's a free program or one I paid for, but I would just like life to be easier by getting a better program.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know. I'm a total noob when it comes to art, and I just want something that I can be proud of when I'm done making a model, level, whatever.

Massive-war

No, that totally makes sense. But by the time you'll really, really need the features of a program that costs hundreds of dollars, chances are you'll have dedicated more time to animating than programming or any of the other aspects of game development. Those programs are made for animators who spend their time making models, and not the person who needs to make low-poly models along with developing the rest of their game.