Ok, so I'm a new artist... what should I get?

Started by
43 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
I need to make models, levels (dungeons and dark places, so I don't need anything huge like maxx or maya), and weapons. Any ideas? I'm a new artist because I have only programmed before. Thanks in advance, Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
Advertisement
blender and the gimp ?

thoses 2 are almost as good as 3dmax and photoshop... some would argue blender is better.

they are 100% free
MilkShape3d is an awesome low/medium poly modeler, and is only $25 USD.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"~Patrick Henry
Is blender capable of developing levels, or just models and pictures?

Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
I basically need to make somewhat large levels (dungeons and caves), not very complicated detail, but enough to be considered "good" graphics.

Massive-war
Try 3D Canvas. It's cheap and easy to learn and use. Really effective at modelling low-poly models. Like machines, weapons, buildings, space ships and such. Haven't tried to model landscapes and such with it though.
Mikko KärkeläNovawar: Skirmish dev team artisthttp://www.novawar-game.com
Blender is a relatively powerful modeling program with more features than you'd ever want to use. If you're newish to modeling, I'd recommed going with an easier to use program like Rhino. Rhino rocks you like a hurricane for NURBS modelling, but it is a tad expensive. Milkshape, 3D Canvas, and Wings3D all aren't too shabby, though I wouldn't really call any othem particularly intuitive.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
DON'T GET MILKSHAPE!
Pure evil.
Blender is far superior in every way. In fact every program on earth is as far as I'm concerned. When something as good as Blender is free paying for milkshape is like burning money with a sharp stick in your eye.
I wish you could just ignore certain posts instead of all ratings below 960. Then I could just click the 'ignore' button on AP's post, there.

Anyways, I don't know why MilkShape3D is evil. It's what I started with. Made the models for the 4E3 contest with it. Simple to learn, and fairly cheap. Not nearly as powerful as the other programs out there.

Blender is great, but ridiculously hard (for many, including me) to learn.

Personally, I use 3DSMax now. Wonderful. We have Maya here too, but I didn't feel like restarting the learning process again.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
ya but maya and max are in the thousands of dollars. How can you afford that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement