a racing track in 3dmax

Started by
13 comments, last by sinx 18 years, 3 months ago
what is the best techniques to model a racing track in 3d max ? i am doing graphics for a racing game similar to XG3 or Wipeout and im trying to find the perfect way to build the track. how would you do it ? I tried several techniques but none seem to be flawless, remember that those kinds of racing games have a lot of curves , hill and even loops.
Advertisement
im not very familiar with max, I use maya, but if I could suggest something, layout a rectangle, (or make one) that will be the base for the track, and bend the mesh till it makes a hill. Make sure its really low poly, (it helps load times and prevents alot of lag), then extrude (or whatever you do in max) the edges out about 2 grid spaces out. Then, use textures for almost all the detail. I did some tracks for a racing game alot like wipeout, and I made a square, textured it like about, than I duplicated it a whole bunch, bending and stuff, until it looked good. Thats probably bad advice, but that is how I did it...
I say just make a box in max maybe 4 length and width segments, turn it to an editable mesh, select the vertices of one of the long sides of the box, lower those vertices to your liking (to angle the track) then just slect each segment and make the track bend. this would work for bending tracks, for regular tracks just do the angle part only nad you'll be fine.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Call me strange, but wouldn't the best way to make a Wipeout style track simply be to take a curve and sweep it along a rail? I mean, why make it any more complicated than that?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Call me strange, but wouldn't the best way to make a Wipeout style track simply be to take a curve and sweep it along a rail? I mean, why make it any more complicated than that?

you are not strange :) its one of the techniques is tried. What i did not like is that it looked liked a hot wheel race track but i guess you have to further edit it to make it look good.

its the technique i have been using actually.. i just wanted to see if someone had a better idea
I can't think of anything that would be "better". I suppose it is a preference sort of thing, though. I like fast, good results and so I'm going to go the route that is going to give me something the quickest that'll give me something to work with. The swept rail curve will give you an immediate workable track that can then be molded into something wicked.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
yo man

but it'll be very kind if you ppl can tell me how to import any max obj into any c or cpp game,i mean how can i call the max file ...by codes.

looks like you ppl are able to answer this.

well for free models in max checkout:www.3dkingdom.org

..........waiting for any reply...
As far as I know, you can't just call a .3ds object from c or cpp, usually exporters for any game engine modify or compile the model and its various layers of texture/IK/animation sequences and then the code calls on that object with various modifiers (initial state, allowable animation sequences, etc)

If you did manage, that'd be the easiest game to build skins for ever to hit the scene :)
Quote:Original post by tomahok_kruze
yo man

but it'll be very kind if you ppl can tell me how to import any max obj into any c or cpp game,i mean how can i call the max file ...by codes.

looks like you ppl are able to answer this.

well for free models in max checkout:www.3dkingdom.org

..........waiting for any reply...

No thread-hijacking, please. Open a new thread in the appropriate forum, please.

Thanks,
Pat.
I would say the best way would be to make a spline and then extrude your track shape along that path. Then click the optimize button.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement