• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
StartingPoint

Books to buy?

This topic is 4578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Iam pretty much new to C++ programming so I bought several books to get started. 1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback] By: Michael Dawson 2- Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example [Paperback] By: Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo 3- 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development [Paperback] By: Fletcher Dunn 4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback] By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford 5- C++: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition [Paperback] By: Herbert Schildt ----- From this list, which should I takeout, change or you would recommend. I personally want to buy books so I can advance progressively with it in C++ (Beginner->Intermediate->Advanced). I m not sure which books to gather together for that so any help on this matter would help me out a lot.

Advertisement
i suggest u buy :
1-ansi c++ in 21 days
2-Introduction to 3d game programming with directx9
3-Mathematics for 3d game programming and computer graphics
and it would be faster if u remember some of ur old physics and math stuff

Guest Anonymous Poster
kk, thanks

Quote:

1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback]
By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford

1-- Good book. I really liked it to start. However I also have 1.5 years of Java expirience under my belt.

4-- This has nothing to do with programming. Only development. You could try Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX second edition, but I am not sure how good it is.

EDIT: Guess I misread the book name the first time.

If you are new to programming, I would say stick with 1,2 and 5. 3 and 4 can come in if you are ok with programming.

As far as C++ books go, the following five will take you a long way.

1. Accelerated C++ (Koenig, Moo)
  2. C++ Primer (Lippman, Lajoie, Moo)
  3. The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
  4. C++ Common Knowledge (Dewhurst)
  5. The C++ Programming language (Stroustrup)

Try getting "Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days"

It advances on a 2D RPG game showing new skills as you go.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!