Sign in to follow this  

Books to buy?

This topic is 4392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Iam pretty much new to C++ programming so I bought several books to get started. 1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback] By: Michael Dawson 2- Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example [Paperback] By: Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo 3- 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development [Paperback] By: Fletcher Dunn 4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback] By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford 5- C++: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition [Paperback] By: Herbert Schildt ----- From this list, which should I takeout, change or you would recommend. I personally want to buy books so I can advance progressively with it in C++ (Beginner->Intermediate->Advanced). I m not sure which books to gather together for that so any help on this matter would help me out a lot.

i suggest u buy :
1-ansi c++ in 21 days
2-Introduction to 3d game programming with directx9
3-Mathematics for 3d game programming and computer graphics
and it would be faster if u remember some of ur old physics and math stuff

Quote:

1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback]
By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford

1-- Good book. I really liked it to start. However I also have 1.5 years of Java expirience under my belt.

4-- This has nothing to do with programming. Only development. You could try Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX second edition, but I am not sure how good it is.

EDIT: Guess I misread the book name the first time.

As far as C++ books go, the following five will take you a long way.

1. Accelerated C++ (Koenig, Moo)
  2. C++ Primer (Lippman, Lajoie, Moo)
  3. The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
  4. C++ Common Knowledge (Dewhurst)
  5. The C++ Programming language (Stroustrup)

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
As far as C++ books go, the following five will take you a long way.

1. Accelerated C++ (Koenig, Moo)
  2. C++ Primer (Lippman, Lajoie, Moo)
  3. The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
  4. C++ Common Knowledge (Dewhurst)
  5. The C++ Programming language (Stroustrup)

I was reading some of the comments of those books and they seem pretty advanced for me. I will just start out with the simple stuff first and build myself up to those when i understand the rest fully.

2- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition (Game Development Series) - Eric Lengyel

3- Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 - Frank D. Luna

4- Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

K, Iam going to stick with that unless anyone thinks there is a serious mistake.

Quote:
Original post by StartingPoint
I was reading some of the comments of those books and they seem pretty advanced for me.

Not really, no. "The C++ Standard Library" and "The C++ Programming Language" are references. "Accelerated C++" and "C++ Primer" are beginner C++ books though Accelerated C++ is rather steep. "C++ Common Knowledge" is an intermediate C++ book.

A "pretty advanced" book would be something like "C++ Template Metaprogramming".

Quote:
I will just start out with the simple stuff first and build myself up to those when i understand the rest fully.

Beware of books with incomplete or inaccurate language coverage. I have also seen far too many books bog you down with pointers and memory management when all you wanted was a string. Sure, that's how they are done internally, but that's not the way to approach them initially.

To say nothing of their dismal standard library coverage.

Actually, IIRC, C++ for Game Programming (take a look at the contents/intro) had areas devoted to the SC++L, and even weighed pros and cons about using various options. I glanced through it at a bookshop, and I remember thinking "If I was starting out, this would be a pretty good book to get".

Actually, after looking at that contents, I would say definately check it out. It's rare to find a beginning book about games (and I distinctly remember the author pointing out where applications of techniques would work in a game) that even mentions the SCL. Also, I remember the style being very approchable.

Quote:

2- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition (Game Development Series) - Eric Lengyel

K, Iam going to stick with that unless anyone thinks there is a serious mistake.

I personally own and have read all these books except #2. I don't regret buying any of them except "acclerated c++" which is no longer on your list so I don't think you are making any mistakes now except maybe read book 4 before 3 since it's a lot gentler and easier intro to directx. Only bad thing is you'll be in a chicken/egg dilemma though since book 4 uses dx 8 so you'll probably run into a lot of confusing errors if you use latest dx 9 sdk. book 4 complied fine with latest microsoft sdk when I read it though it is a bit terse since it is a small book. If you get stuck with 3 or 4 I recommend you get "Beginning DirectX 9" by Wendy Jones since it's the easiest book out right now that teaches dx 9 and works with latest DX SDK. It helped me update the code in book 4 to directx version 9 any ways.
p.s. The reason I don't recommend "accelerated c++" unlike alot of others is the number of typos in book spans over 10 pages when I tried reading it and distracted from learning c++ not to mention book uses some very advanced stuff like loop invariants for beginner's intro to c++. Dawson book does same job of teaching c++ the way it's meant to be used by staying away from arrays and preferring vectors and use of STL in a way more enjoyable book.

Quote:

#1 is good, but is simply a learning guide to C++. It could be replaced with the highly rated Accelerated C++. I'd drop #4 personally. #2 is on my to readlist, and I've commented that its highly math oriented - reading the reviews again, yeah I its deep into 3D math.. so you'd be expected to know HS math at least. I have it down I should read this first:

Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications : A Programmer's Guide (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology) (Hardcover)
by James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop

Get #5 without the hesitation since people love to turn it down. It's the best reference book you could ever need on the job. I wouldn't get his earlier editions though.

i just bought

Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, First Edition : A Programmer's Guide

Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series)

C++ Primer (4th Edition)

----

After that I intend to pratice a bit and go futher with

Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching (3rd Edition) (Paperback)

and will see from there.

C++ Primer (4th Edition)? Why didn't you get 5th edition?

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.

Quote:
Original post by Dae

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.

Fruny told me that the 5th edition was different from the 4th. What books should i get after finishing the beginner books?

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Dae

Fruny told me that the 5th edition was different from the 4th. What books should i get after finishing the beginner books?

Some good books are

Effective C++
More Effective C++
Effective STL

Exceptional C++
More Exceptional C++
Exceptional C++ style

C++ Coding Standards
Modern C++ Design

C++ Template Metaprogramming

Standard C++ Iostreams and Locales

C++ Templates - The Complete Guide
The C++ Standard Library

ISO/IEC 14882:2003

As a general rule, avoid books with titles along the lines of "Learn yourself a C++ guru in 24 visual hours", Rome was not built in a day.

Oh you got C++ Primer, not C++ Primer Plus. Alright, good good. Another good one is C++ Primer Plus ed 5, but you dont need it anymore I guess.

The ones in the last post are good, and these are too.

The C++ Programming Language, (Special 3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup ISBN 0-201-70073-5

C++ Coding Standards : 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices (C++ in Depth Series) (Paperback)
by Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) (Hardcover)
by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides

cool thanks for the help. Right now i m mad because UPS did not find my house so they will have to reschudle it till tomorrow (Thursday). I wanted to get started today but these online tutorials will have to do.

This topic is 4392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.