Books to buy?

Started by
22 comments, last by StartingPoint 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dae
C++ Primer (4th Edition)? Why didn't you get 5th edition?

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.

Fruny told me that the 5th edition was different from the 4th. What books should i get after finishing the beginner books?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by StartingPoint
Quote:Original post by Dae
C++ Primer (4th Edition)? Why didn't you get 5th edition?

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.

Fruny told me that the 5th edition was different from the 4th. What books should i get after finishing the beginner books?

Some good books are

Effective C++
More Effective C++
Effective STL

Exceptional C++
More Exceptional C++
Exceptional C++ style

C++ Coding Standards
Modern C++ Design

C++ Template Metaprogramming

Standard C++ Iostreams and Locales

C++ Templates - The Complete Guide
The C++ Standard Library

ISO/IEC 14882:2003

As a general rule, avoid books with titles along the lines of "Learn yourself a C++ guru in 24 visual hours", Rome was not built in a day.
Oh you got C++ Primer, not C++ Primer Plus. Alright, good good. Another good one is C++ Primer Plus ed 5, but you dont need it anymore I guess.

The ones in the last post are good, and these are too.

The C++ Programming Language, (Special 3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup ISBN 0-201-70073-5

C++ Coding Standards : 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices (C++ in Depth Series) (Paperback)
by Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) (Hardcover)
by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides
cool thanks for the help. Right now i m mad because UPS did not find my house so they will have to reschudle it till tomorrow (Thursday). I wanted to get started today but these online tutorials will have to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement