Sign in to follow this  
faizin

3D Game Programming

I want to make rpg 3d game.I know that I can use C++,OpenGL and DirectX for 3d game programming.Is there any tutorial for it that you all can recommended?

1. Learn C++
2. Improve upon your C++ knowledge
3. Make a text based C++ game
4. Make a 2d C++ game
5. Make many more games, learn some math
6. Learn OpenGL or DirectX
7. Try a 3d C++ RPG.

First start an engine building on DX/OGL samples showing key aspects of technology. I have some basic tutorials on DX at my site : http://magclan.cwhnetworks.com/MAGSoft2

Just click tutorials in the side bar

DX is probably better to learn first, but that's just my opinion

Quote:
Original post by faizin
Hmm..which one would I learn first?Is it C++ or OpenGL or DirectX?

Also consider Python, C# or even Pascal instead. C++ isn't exactly a nice language for beginners (though some people will disagree [wink]).
Otherwise TriSwords recommendation is a very reasonable one. Get comfortable with the programming language (and perhaps programming itself) first. During the process you can also get familiar with the basic algorithms and data structures.
Start with 2D first and before moving to 3D, make sure to get a basic knowledge of the required math (e.g. some linear algebra).

Good luck!
Pat.

Xpyder...in your tutorial..can I used c++ instead c#..what the different??

Edit:If I am using 3ds max...how can I export my 3d artwork in 3ds max to my game??

Quote:
Original post by darookie
Quote:
Original post by faizin
Hmm..which one would I learn first?Is it C++ or OpenGL or DirectX?

Also consider Python, C# or even Pascal instead. C++ isn't exactly a nice language for beginners (though some people will disagree [wink]).
Otherwise TriSwords recommendation is a very reasonable one. Get comfortable with the programming language (and perhaps programming itself) first. During the process you can also get familiar with the basic algorithms and data structures.
Start with 2D first and before moving to 3D, make sure to get a basic knowledge of the required math (e.g. some linear algebra).

Good luck!
Pat.

There no such thing as difficulty in learning C++. There's just a difficulty using it properly and there are a lot of low level memory management (i.e when using pointers, dynamically allocated mem etc) that gives C++ a steep learning curve.

And check out this link http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames

Urmmm..if im using 3ds max to make 3d character...how can I export it to my game?Can anyone explain in detail but simple for beginner..

http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/

Quote:
Urmmm..if im using 3ds max to make 3d character...how can I export it to my game?Can anyone explain in detail but simple for beginner..

This is not very much of a extreme beginner thing really. If your using DirectX its very easy.

If your using OpenGL your going to have to make a file loader for the 3d file format you export to, which involves learning the files format, and coding a loader. http://www.gametutorials.com/ had a few examples of loading MD2/MD3 files, and 3DS files, don't know if you can still download them still since the site has gone all "buy our cd."

With DirectX you can use panda exporter and export it as a .x file and just load that using the DirectX functions.

[Edited by - GDKnight on December 7, 2005 7:32:56 AM]

Hmm..okay thanks..

Can you show me the the way to learn c++?Which tutorial should I follow first and after I learning the tutorial...the what I am gonna do?Is I must learn the other tutorial?Then what is the tutorial?Can you show the way to learn c++ for me..? Sorry if my english is very bad..coz english is not my native language..