Sign in to follow this  

WM_CHAR and Windows auto-repeat

This topic is 4394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hmm... I'm modifying my input system in my game engine so that I can get standard character input (Before it was all Direct Input polling stuff). So, the WM_CHAR message is really nice, except that it's coming in really fast. Basically, when the user just taps the 'k' key, I get something like 12 WM_CHAR 'k' messages. I know that Windows has an auto-repeat function which can be set in the control pannel (Keyboard settings), which serves as the default behavior for all windows apps. My main question is this - Is there an easy way to use these autorepeat settings in my engine? Can I get windows to only generate messages to the pace of the autorepeat settings? Or should I write my own timer based system to do it? Thanks in advance for any help!

WM_CHAR ought to follow the key repeat and delay values already. It's that what edit controls use for key input.

WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP on the other hand don't.

Check your windowproc and/or message pump if there's something wrong. WM_CHAR shouldn't come that fast.

This topic is 4394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.