• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
frankyz

Texture rotation on a point sprite

This topic is 4553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, does anyone know how to rotate a texture on a point sprite. Is there a way or so you can get the texture coordinates and adjust them or something like that?? Grtz Frank

Advertisement
I was wondering the exact same thing some time ago. I tried using the texture transform matrices on the device, but I couln't get those working at all with point sprites. You might be able to write a pixel shader that rotates the UV coordinates around 0.5;0.5 to solve the problem, but I don't know how point sprites are handled in shaders so it's just a guess.

I ended up using billboards when I needed rotating textures, so I can't verify if the shader idea actually works. Anyway, the billboard approach is quite easy to set up and it gives you a bit more freedom, like no restriction on the size, so it might be worth considering too.

Hope this helps... a bit :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!