3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Started by
166 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 3 months ago
d000hg: every time I've tried downloading your game (from here and Capn_midnight's site) it's come up as a corrupted archive. Winrar was able to repair the one off the contest site & it seems to work ok but I'm wondering if I'm missing any files?

Great work everyone - played most of these now (& had fun), time to get .net 2.0 and java installed to size up the rest of the competition :)
.. and no, my favourite so far is not my own entry..
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen
d000hg: every time I've tried downloading your game (from here and Capn_midnight's site) it's come up as a corrupted archive. Winrar was able to repair the one off the contest site & it seems to work ok but I'm wondering if I'm missing any files?

WinAce produced a .zip only WinAce could read. I've sent capn a fixed version.

Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen

WinAce produced a .zip only WinAce could read. I've sent capn a fixed version.

contest site updated.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

capn, is there anyway those of us who didn't make it in time can get a shout on your website for our games under like "honorable mention" or something? That would be pretty sweet, and wouldn't make me feel so bad about losing.
Quote:Original post by visage
capn, is there anyway those of us who didn't make it in time can get a shout on your website for our games under like "honorable mention" or something? That would be pretty sweet, and wouldn't make me feel so bad about losing.

sure, I can do that. I'll make a seperate page. It will have to be later, though, I'm about to leave the house for the night.

I've had a chance to play the games to take screenshots, and I'm going to say now, there is very definitely ONE that is hands down the best. It will be the 2nd and 3rd place that will be difficult to determine. I was very impressed by all of the submissions, but one in particular was very funny, original, and played very well. I still have to write up all my comments, though. Also, the other judges will have to get their judging on as well.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
I've had a chance to play the games to take screenshots, and I'm going to say now, there is very definitely ONE that is hands down the best. It will be the 2nd and 3rd place that will be difficult to determine. I was very impressed by all of the submissions, but one in particular was very funny, original, and played very well. I still have to write up all my comments, though. Also, the other judges will have to get their judging on as well.

Yeah, but remember, I am disqualified =D

Anyway, thanks for the losers page, I appreciate it.
Also, I would love some comments on my game if the judges have time. Also, is anyone having trouble getting my game to run? My dad can't figure it out (hard to explain how to unzip and use appletviewer over the phone...plus, I don't think he has java 1.5)

I can't wait to see some more screenshots and writing about other peoples games. One time I wish I didn't own a mac...

PS, my best score at my own game is 3400, can anyone beat it?

1. ApochPiQ:
    pros: This was amazing. For three hours you put out a lot of work. The presentation is hillarious ("This only took 3 hours to WRITE... win faster!"), the gameplay was rather original (I've never seen an ASCII game control like this), and the addition of sound was a big plus. I actually played this game a lot, just because I liked it so much. Hands down, this one is the best.

cons: the control is a little spotty, especially at the bottom of the screen. Apparently the wall is a row higher than it looks.

2. DrewGreen:
    pros: very fluid movement and control. The effect of the entire screen rotating when you get hit was very jarring and sickening, which is about right. I could actually manage to collect bottles, avoid rocks and cars, and play the game. Definitely one of the more complete entries.

cons: everything is way too blurry, and I suspect that is because you drew your sprites in photoshop of GIMP and didn't set the brush hardness properly.

3. d000hg:
    pros: one of the more complete entries. Your game has an objective, it requires some level of skill the graphics are sufficient and do not display any defects.

cons: it's boring. It's too easy to get from the beginning to the end, and then there is nothing else to do. Also, the menu was kind of wonky, rather difficult to read.

4. BeanDog:
    pros: another one of the "complete"-like games. Here we have an actual objective, collect the boxes of video games. There is also an AI opponent, and even though it doesn't really work, it does move some, so props for the effort.

cons: I was really turned off by the lack of effort you put into the sprites for the slopes. It's a white block with a black line through the middle. At the very least you could have filled the upper half of the block with black and made it blend with the background. I can understand not having tools to make transparent sprites, and not knowing how to set transparency keys. But a simple click of the mouse in paint to at least make it LOOK like it's hidden is too simple to miss. I even tried it out, editting your image files, and it looks ten times better. For the two minutes it took, I would have waited.

5. xaver:
    pros: you have a game system, you have an objective, and you have score tracking. The gameplay increases in difficulty as time goes by.

cons: the carts kind of make me cross my eyes. The gameplay is a little TOO simplistic. There doesn't seem to be any final objective, or a means of ending the game in either a win or a lose. You just seem to play into perpetuation.

6. H_o_p_s:
    pros: it plays and actually works.

cons: it's a little simple, and the interpretation of "carts" is a thin stretch. I know A is Art, I can't remember what the others are. For an implementation of a Simon game, it's not a very good cover. If you had made an anti-terrorism game featuring cows "Cow Action Responce Team Supreme", that would have been acceptable, because the name and the game go together. That's just one idea and I'm not saying that's what you should have done. However, I don't really see how a Simon game goes with the title "Cultural Arts Resources for Teachers and Students".

7. nagromo:
    pros: your graphics don't show any defects, your horse looks like a lamb. The bird animation is pretty good.

cons: There's no game. I couldn't figure out how to win or even lose. all I did was roll back and forth with my homey Lambchop.

8. Michalson:
    pros: the stamina meter was implemented well, and the idea of cracking the whip to make the horse go faster was quite original.

cons: no game. You know why there is no game, so I won't go into it.

for those that participated but did not finish on time:

1. EvilMonkey:
    pros: Very fluid graphics, excellent work on that part.

cons: no objective, ends too soon, I warped through the rail at one point.

2. visage:
    pros: I don't know, I couldn't play it, it only appeared in a tiny subsection of the page.

cons: I had to kill the internet explorer process to get the music to stop, even after I had closed all the IE windows. Just something to be away of.

I've started a thread in my journal for thoughts on the future of the contest. Please take some time to check it out and post your comments. I advertise right now because I don't often post in my journal, so it is likely to get overlooked.

Also, I've started another thread in my journal on the base code issue.

[Edited by - capn_midnight on December 11, 2005 11:17:15 AM]

Wait, only appeared in a tiny image? Can I get a screen shot?
Try running it with appletviewer...

I fixed the sound thing. Sorry about that. I reuploaded it. If you have the time, I would love a comment on the working game.

New linky.

Thanks!

[Edited by - visage on December 11, 2005 12:10:31 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement