3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Started by
166 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 4 months ago
Here is the honorable mention page.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
When I started programming my game I was gonna make it so that each one of the lights played a music motif... this was how it was going to fit into the "Cultural Arts Resources for Teachers and Students" Because it was to play some classical pieces of music... but I couldn't program the MIDI driver for it fast enough... and so it just stayed a simon clone... lame I know...
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Yeah, and Hops, your game makes me go blind,... Like, really, when I get to about 8-10 flashes, I can no longer see ANYTHING.

Should get something for the game causing the most medical problems for this contest, :P
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I downloaded my own file from your site midnight, and it works for me (except for the sound issue).

I think for me, safari resizes the applet to fit, because I just realized that HTML says something like 200x300 (which would explain your visual problem), so in the new upload, it is 500x800 just like the applet should be.
I see some of you folks have post mortems for your games in your journals. Please post links in the thread, if you will. They're really good.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Post mortem.
I spent about the first 2:30 on what you see on the download page: the cart, background, and birds, all moving nicely. I also made a cool little boom effect that you don't see. I then frantically tried to add all of the gameplay, but the birds were going in the wrong direction, almost always missing the character's head, and I hadn't even decided how the guy was supposed to defend himself from the birds. (From the boom effect, I guess my subconcious had decided that he was going to make them explode.) I was left with no player interaction; the escape button exits and the f1 button was supposed to toggle fullscreen, but even that didn't work.

Yeah, I messed up. I was going to write a basic framework in the few days before the contest, one that would handle all the technical details of the graphics and collision detection and give me a decent GameObject base class. Instead, I played video games, went out with friends to a movie and stayed up too late, and spent too much time on the internet. I only spent a few hours here and there learning pygame and starting a framework; I should have spent a lot more time on it, especially because I've never used pygame before. I also threw out what I had been considering for gameplay before the theme was announced because I couldn't think of a way to make it fit with the theme, although I just thought of how I should have done it as I wrote this.

I should have based it on my code from the 1w1b2 contest, but I decided not to because it had some visual artifacts in the text. I shouldn't have worried about that for this contest. I would have done much better using that, a code base that I was already familiar with, instead of trying to teach myself pygame in a few hours here and there.
PostMortem, source, etc.. Apparently, according to the good Cap'n, you get cancer if you don't read this, or something [wink]

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Any one else like to recommend me some games to play (apart from capn's commetns)? Ones that are actually a playable game for preference.

By the way, capn are you a judge or are those just your 'reviews'? Did you consider 8 entries a few or a lot - I wasn't sure what to expect after the suprise of 34 entries in the last 1W1B contest.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Any one else like to recommend me some games to play (apart from capn's commetns)? Ones that are actually a playable game for preference.

By the way, capn are you a judge or are those just your 'reviews'? Did you consider 8 entries a few or a lot - I wasn't sure what to expect after the suprise of 34 entries in the last 1W1B contest.

I'm a judge, 8 was a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement