3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Started by
166 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 3 months ago
The one off the mIV site works fine for me. Nice exit feature btw, missed that the first time round as I never quit whilst playing. (In case anyone else missed it, press escape while playing the level)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Advertisement
yeah, he can send you the files.

I'm suprised that so many people are having troubles running the games. Everything ran perfectly for me.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Is anyone keen on the idea to fix bugs, implement suggested improvements etc and add the full gameplay that you envisioned?
I think it would be cool to see 100% finished versions, not for a competition or anything but for a "What it would/could have become" showcase or something like that :)

[Edited by - DrewGreen on December 13, 2005 4:39:37 PM]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
I'm with Trapper Zoid.

I really wanted to put BeanDog's entry at third though, but it was the broken AI that did it for me. It would have been fun if it worked, but since it didn't it fell at 4th :(.

Some of the games didn't have any gameplay at all. Michaelson's would have been fun if there was a challenge to it (Z is the jump button by the way, not Y. Much button pushing resulted in that discovery).

My biggest gripe with many of them was... no instructions. It took me time to find out what I was supposed to do for some of them.

So..

1. Apoch
2. Drew
3. d000hg
Quote:Original post by d000hg
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=363764

I started grouping all the scores into one easily-read page. I'll update it as more scores come in. Thought some of you might find it useful.

Updated with maega's results.
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen
The one off the mIV site works fine for me. Nice exit feature btw, missed that the first time round as I never quit whilst playing. (In case anyone else missed it, press escape while playing the level)
Oh yeah - that GUI library is one the most useful things I got from 4E4. Very glad I took the time to write it.
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen
Is anyone keen on the idea to fix bugs, implement suggested improvements etc and add the full gameplay that you envisioned?
I think it would be cool to see 100% finished versions, not for a competition or anything but for a "What it would/could have become" showcase or something like that :)
Not really. Without multiplying by 5-10 times the time spent my entry's always going to be crap. I guess making the trolley accelerate, adding multiple levels and some sound effects + score-board would do for mine but I have other things to work on. This contest was a bit of light relief to me, from working on my proper games! More like an exam than the coursework that was 4E4 - I quite like exams.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Without multiplying by 5-10 times the time spent my entry's always going to be crap. I guess making the trolley accelerate, adding multiple levels and some sound effects + score-board would do for mine but I have other things to work on. This contest was a bit of light relief to me, from working on my proper games! More like an exam than the coursework that was 4E4 - I quite like exams.

Ooh, you could do other shoppers in the store. Don't you hate it when you go to the store and people just stop next to teach other in the aisle creating a blockage that you can't get past? Ugh
Originally the game was going to be collecting items from the store against the clock. But that was too much to do.

My favourite idea was to play the guy who has to move the huge stacks of carts around the car parks - they are very heavy and cumbersome and the whole stack bends etc etc. I wanted to simulate that and have cars hooting at you for blocking the road etc. But alas I decided this would be too tricky so didn't atttempt it.
I had no intarnet yesterday. Sometimes Insight blows.

CartRunner by Apoch
Got 5 carts for 7750 points. Nice and simple graphics that are effective once you figure out what the heck everything is supposed to represent. Kinda hard and a little too short of a game. Had no troubles getting the game to run. Nice concept, though.

carts by BeanDog
Didn't run. It said that I'm missing a DirectX9 file. Will look into this, so that this game can be fairly judged.

3HourIV by d00hg
Mission completed in 18.61 seconds and one penalty. The clickly menu with the fade in/fade out setup was interesting. I dig the artwork; I didn't need a strong appreciation of abstract artwork to figure out what everything was. Loaded right up, which is a good thing.

ICR by DrewGreen
25982 points 4th level. This game is fun. I like the programmer art and the action is exciting. Kinda wish you could back up a little bit and the collision detection was tweaked a bit, but no real overall complaint about the game. No hitches with it running.

CARTS by H_o_p_s
No click 'n play is a bad thing. I'll get back to it as soon as I can figure out how to run it.

ExtremeAmishCartRacing by Michalson
Hmmm.... gonna have to update my .net framework, because it no playie.

Farmer's Cart by nagromo
Well, it works, but ermm... nothing happens in the game. It is a game without any gameplay. I'm just going and going and well, going down the road. I see a flock of birds in the upper rigth hand of the screen, but they don't go anywhere.

Qcarts by xavier
Wound up with 2800 bucks. With a quick click game like this, you should have probably thrown some code in there to keep the window from losing focus or just plain made it full screen, but with the mad movement of my mouse I lost focus on the game twice. Worked fine, but well, kinda boring.

Well, I'm going to have to take care of the technical difficulties real quick, but as of the moment it looks like ICR is in the lead.

[Edited by - zer0wolf on December 14, 2005 7:38:37 AM]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Out of curiosity, which version of CartRunner has everyone been judging? The results are likely to be fairly skewed if some are using the original submission and some are running the fixed version that lets you play all 5 levels.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement