3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Started by
166 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by u235
Unfortunatley I couldn't get most of the games to run due to run time errors mostly. One said that it wasn't meant to be a stand alone application and exited, I couldn't get the one written in Java to run using the instructions so I made a web page and tried to use it that way but that didn't work either. The rest gave me that little wondows popup that says "an error occured, would you like to send it to MS or not?" The four that I got running are critiqued below:
1st: xaver
2nd: DrewGreen
3rd: ApochPiQ
4th: Michalson

Congrats to everyone who was able to push out a game in 3 hours. It takes talent.

-AJ
What PC are you using? Seems odd so many wouldn't work, and I thought mine was using pretty solid DX8.1 code. You must have DX9 though to get Michalson's to run (amusing he got 4th!) - can you PM me since I'm always keen to track down errors? You should have a log.html file you could send me, and a screenshot of any popups... oh and you did get the fixed .zip file because the first one was corrupted?

To not have that many entries run means there is likely something wrong with your system, or the way you are unpacking entries - in my case I can tell you that little pink boxes with X's mean that the png files where not found - as everyone else who has judged it will attest to, those files are right there. You might have something screwed up on your system (somehow changing paths) or in the way you unzip archieves that is preventing you from getting anything but the exe, the errors you got with our submissions could be due to missing DLLs that where included.

When you unpacked the entries, did you just open virtual zip folders and try to run the exes straight from them (in which case all other files in the zip would not exist), or did you properly unpack the zip files into new folders?
Advertisement
Okay, Michalson, I got an exception saying that System.IO.FileNotFoundException has occured in your game.

edit: My bad, nevermind. I had to download and install the June MDX installer.

I'll take care of all of my technical difficulties and then post up reviews with my final order iin a few hours.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by u235
Unfortunatley I couldn't get most of the games to run due to run time errors mostly. One said that it wasn't meant to be a stand alone application and exited, I couldn't get the one written in Java to run using the instructions so I made a web page and tried to use it that way but that didn't work either. The rest gave me that little wondows popup that says "an error occured, would you like to send it to MS or not?" The four that I got running are critiqued below:
3rd: ApochPiQ

Congrats to everyone who was able to push out a game in 3 hours. It takes talent.

-AJ
What PC are you using? Seems odd so many wouldn't work, and I thought mine was using pretty solid DX8.1 code. You must have DX9 though to get Michalson's to run (amusing he got 4th!) - can you PM me since I'm always keen to track down errors? You should have a log.html file you could send me, and a screenshot of any popups... oh and you did get the fixed .zip file because the first one was corrupted?

To not have that many entries run means there is likely something wrong with your system, or the way you are unpacking entries - in my case I can tell you that little pink boxes with X's mean that the png files where not found - as everyone else who has judged it will attest to, those files are right there. You might have something screwed up on your system (somehow changing paths) or in the way you unzip archieves that is preventing you from getting anything but the exe, the errors you got with our submissions could be due to missing DLLs that where included.

When you unpacked the entries, did you just open virtual zip folders and try to run the exes straight from them (in which case all other files in the zip would not exist), or did you properly unpack the zip files into new folders?

Apparently u235 has a 2nd PC he'd forgotten about. From a PM he just sent me it sounds like he's scrabbling to find it and see if the problematic entries fare any better...
Ok, the forgetten PC has been found and a couple more of the entries were able to run. Apparently there is something wrong with my system, although I did properly unzip all the entries and made sure that the required DLLs were there.

@Michalson: Was there supposed to be a directory structure for yours? I have the exe and all related file in the same directory as was unzipped by WinRar.

The new reviews are below and an updated ranking follows:

d000hg: I thought it was pretty good. I liked the timer which made me play more than once to see if I could beat my time. On the technical side, the collision detection was a little off. I would be obviously not touching anything but I still couldn't move. And there's a bug where you can just take the cart to the far right of the screen and finish at the top of the screen and not come anywhere near the exit sign. All in all, pretty decent for three hours work.

nagromo: Got it running, but I really couldn't do anything. I was able to move the cart around but that's about it. Those little flying things didn't really do anything and I couldn't figure out how to score any points. Instructions would have been nice. You get points for finishing.

[EDIT]Michalson: I decide to forgo getting the graphics to display as what counts here is gameplay. I can imagine the graphics based on the screenshot. As you stated earlier in the thread, there's not much to it. However I did like the stamina meter thing. Even with the pink boxes with Xs I could tell that it was going transparent the less stamina your horse had. And the jump animation was pretty smooth, so points for that.

Updated Rankings:
3rd: d000hg
5th: ApochPiQ
6th: nagromo

Note to Michalson: If you can help me get your game running, I will re-evaluate and update the rankings to reflect my thoughts.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Results page updated
Is zero_wolf the last judge - I'm running out of colours...

I'm very interested to see which way round the obvious 1st/2nd entries come - Apoch started off way in front but has been a little less consistent. I wonder if anyone will spoil my 100% consist run of 3rds?!
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Out of curiosity, which version of CartRunner has everyone been judging? The results are likely to be fairly skewed if some are using the original submission and some are running the fixed version that lets you play all 5 levels.

the one on the contest download site was the last one you linked to.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I'm not waiting for any more judges. The results have been tallied, check the front page.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Congratulations to the winners. I sent ApochPiQ a PM earlier today with directions on how to claim his prize. Good work, everyone. Enjoy the cookies. =)

- k2
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Sorry for not getting my tallies in. I spent the day in jail. [sad]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Sorry for not getting my tallies in. I spent the day in jail. [sad]

How did you manage that?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement