• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capn_midnight

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

167 posts in this topic

I can judge.

Base system:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 gig of RAM
Nvidia 6600GT (AGP)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Operating System can either be SuSE Linux 10.0 x86_64 or Windows XP Pro SP2 (32 bit).

I've got an older system that may be used as well

P3 866 mhz
256 megs of RAM
Nvidia TNT 2 card
Integrated Sound

Even have a Pentium 2 500mhz machine I can use if we want to go that low :P

oh, want to go low? I have a (mostly) working Pentium1-100mhz, with 40mb ram, and a 2mb video card. Currently being used as a footstool under my desk, :)

maybe we should have a contest, who can get the best game after a week, that runs on a 100mhz or less machine?

but we're off topic.

Would like to judge

Processor: PentiumM 1.6GHz + AMD3200x64
Memory: 512MB RDRAM + 1GB DDRAM
GFX: Radeon 9800Mobile + NVidia 5200
Sound: SB Audigy 2, + Some Mobo Sound System
Other Software: Java 5, .Net 1.1, .Net 2.0, DX9c (October 05), im willing do download any lib or whatever... wont be stingy about it

[Edited by - Uthman on December 7, 2005 5:29:32 PM]

Are we allowed to use any free resources as long as they are not copyrighted? Or must all of the content be created by ourselves during the 3 hours of the contest?

Am I right in thinking 10am EST is 3pm GMT? Or is it 5am?
Thinking about giving it a go, assuming I'm not asleep for the start (a very real possibility with *either* of those two times! :) )

Quote:
Original post by DrewGreen
Am I right in thinking 10am EST is 3pm GMT? Or is it 5am?
Thinking about giving it a go, assuming I'm not asleep for the start (a very real possibility with *either* of those two times! :) )

Easiest way to check - open your windows date/time settings from the clock on your start bar and se the time-zone to GMT-5 (called Eastern something). Apply this and see what time it is - you'll find it's 3am. Then don't forget to reset your timezone to GMT!

Guess I'll not be entering after all; unless the contest can be made to run for 3 hours from when you access the theme - they use this for timing tests at university so it's possible...

EST is GMT-5, that means you take GMT and you subtract 5 hours. So, you must perform the reverse operation to get GMT from EST. 10am + 5 hours = 1500 zulu. To convert from zulu notation to am/pm notation, you modulo by 1200. 1500%1200 = 3:00PM.

Maybe this should be a prerequisite to joining the contest.

On the content issue:
I would much rather see programmer art from everyone than someone use a sprite pack, even if it is public domain.

Oops. I moved from GMT->EST on my PC and then STILL screwed it up. Apologies if I confused anybody by sounding confident in my mistake...

Is the theme announced in this thread? And how is submission done - more importantly how strict is the 3Hr deadline? To the second, to the minute, to the hour... since a file of a few Mb can take up to an hour for me to download it's an issue - I'll try to keep it small! Probably no way around it though.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Oops. I moved from GMT->EST on my PC and then STILL screwed it up. Apologies if I confused anybody by sounding confident in my mistake...

Is the theme announced in this thread? And how is submission done - more importantly how strict is the 3Hr deadline? To the second, to the minute, to the hour... since a file of a few Mb can take up to an hour for me to download it's an issue - I'll try to keep it small! Probably no way around it though.

theme isn't announced until 15 minutes before the start of the contest. I do have something in mind, but I have to keep it secret as a measure of preventing people from starting too early. Sure, I'm allowing base code, but the design itself is pretty much dependent on the theme.

Submission is done as this: I should receive a message from you in some way that directly connects me to download your submission. You could attach it an email, or you could host it on a site and send me a link, or whatever.

Timeline: I'll take it on confidence that if you post to say you are sending it, but because you're on 56k it's going to take an hour, then I'll believe you.

The amount of coding you have to do for this contest is not trivial, but it shouldn't be daunting either. This contest isn't a test of coding skill, in the strictest sense. Yes, you need to be a confident coder in order to do well in this contest, but typically speaking the judges machines are beefy enough to not require a lot of optimization out of you.

Ideally, this contest is about game concepts and design. That's why I allow the base code, I want to see people reallize their ideas. I want people to pick a small kernel of an idea, and make it grow REALLY FREAKING FAST. This contest is about getting those ideas out, not just for people to see, but for you to see just how much you can do.

I know it's pretty cliched to say "everyone who competes is a winner". I will qualify that a little and say "everyone that completes a submission is a winner". This contest is about giving people a little target that they can strive for and ultimately accomplish. It's a self esteem boost, but primarily it's an exercise of skill. You WILL learn things along the way, you WILL learn about what works with your coding and what doesn't. And that is why "everyone" is a "winner", because you leave this contest with more knowledge than you started.

I am deeply, deeply touched by the donations of the prizes for the contest. I would have never been able to pony up the hundreds of dollars of prizes that we have offered over the lifetime of this contest. Truely (while I'm still spewing cliches), I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It shows that there are people out there that truely care about the GDNet community. The contest is about making the community grow, and it has brought out the philanthropists in a lot of people.

I can't wait to see the submissions.

Looks interesting 3 (4 including thinking about the theme I guess) hours of a saturday huh? Sounds like something to focus the mind :-)

Quote:
(major rule change)You may use rendering frame, input manager, math library, or sound manager ANY base code that you have written, but no other code. You must may post this code in a source tag in the forum on Friday night before the competition to keep the playing field even (anyone may use it if they want), if you so choose. The judges reserve the right to veto your use of such code (hence the need for the Thursday night deadline).

So, basically, this is a contest starting whenever you see this thread until the end time? Because, theoretically, I could be working on "base code" the entire time. I mean, realistically, how would you know when I made the content? What about old images and tiles I had from old games?

I liked the old rule that gave everyone several days to look over everyone elses code. I mean, what prevents me from starting work on mine tonight and working for two days straight except for a sense of sportsmanship? I mean, how can a judge realistically say "well, this content looks like it took more than three hours to make..."?

I may or may not participate -- but I would be much happier if this were truly a three hour competition. Everything had to be done in three hours -- I think that would make everything focus on gameplay and be much, much more fun.

EDIT: OOHHHH YEAH! The whole THEME thing. God, you are so tricky ;) I <3 you. Time to go write some base code.

Quote:
Original post by visage
Quote:
(major rule change)You may use rendering frame, input manager, math library, or sound manager ANY base code that you have written, but no other code. You must may post this code in a source tag in the forum on Friday night before the competition to keep the playing field even (anyone may use it if they want), if you so choose. The judges reserve the right to veto your use of such code (hence the need for the Thursday night deadline).

So, basically, this is a contest starting whenever you see this thread until the end time? Because, theoretically, I could be working on "base code" the entire time. I mean, realistically, how would you know when I made the content? What about old images and tiles I had from old games?

I liked the old rule that gave everyone several days to look over everyone elses code. I mean, what prevents me from starting work on mine tonight and working for two days straight except for a sense of sportsmanship? I mean, how can a judge realistically say "well, this content looks like it took more than three hours to make..."?

I may or may not participate -- but I would be much happier if this were truly a three hour competition. Everything had to be done in three hours -- I think that would make everything focus on gameplay and be much, much more fun.

EDIT: OOHHHH YEAH! The whole THEME thing. God, you are so tricky ;) I <3 you. Time to go write some base code.

read my previous post in this thread for WHY I did it this way. Even for a contest like the 1W1B or the LD24, judges might think they could be really pendatic and check the creation time on the files, but even that is not fullproof. Who's to say that I didn't right all that code in a week, or 24 hours, or 3 hours? I can't control people that will cheat, so I try to eliminate the cheater's advantage. I can control the theme, and so this contest is not about coding, it's about design.

Plus, it gives some newly starting people (noob is too harsh of a word in this case as it implies ignorance) the chance to reallize their designs and compete at the same level as everyone else, even if their coding is less than stellar.

Sure, I can sit down with a blank project and in 3 hours knock out Pong (actually, pong only takes 27 minutes) or the stupid Block Blaster game in my showcase. But that's just retarded.

Entirely OT:
I was trying to post this in Capn_midnight's thread about HGE but it wouldn't let me so I'll stick it here as it's kind of relevant to 3H-GDC, in a tangential way.

You may know that HGE has gone open source - the URL is here (different to the hge.relishgames.com link. As far as I can tell it means there is no longer a need to purchase a license for shareware, though I could be wrong here - I'm using HGE myself so if anyone could update me on exactly what the procedure is (if licensing is still needed) I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm intending to make any competition entry into shareware!

I also direct your attention to the following posts:

LGPL "announcement" http://relishgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=987

Opening logo removal: (works with 1.53 precompiled library as well) http://relishgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1033. I agree with the comment about crediting HGE somewhere in your work of course.

And in fact this forum in general.

I probably won't enter, because I'll be working on my Ludum Dare 48hr competition entry.

If on the other hand, something catastrophic happens which stops me entering LD48, but I can still enter this, I will do

Mark

Quote:
Original post by DrewGreen
Entirely OT:
I was trying to post this in Capn_midnight's thread about HGE but it wouldn't let me so I'll stick it here as it's kind of relevant to 3H-GDC, in a tangential way.

You may know that HGE has gone open source - the URL is here (different to the hge.relishgames.com link. As far as I can tell it means there is no longer a need to purchase a license for shareware, though I could be wrong here - I'm using HGE myself so if anyone could update me on exactly what the procedure is (if licensing is still needed) I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm intending to make any competition entry into shareware!

HGE is uses the BASS sound library for music and sound effects, but BASS is not open source. You must still purchase a license for BASS if you want to make shareware (it's still free for non-commerical use). However, there is talk about using OpenAL and getting rid of the BASS functions.

True, true. Assuming you don't want to pay for BASS (and it's a pretty good library in it's own right), would using something else instead of HGE's sound features be ok though (& not distributing bass.dll with the app)?

I would guess that'd be fine - either by modifying the sound parts of the HGE source or just using a separate lib - OpenAL as you say or DirectSound etc