Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capn_midnight

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

167 posts in this topic

Yep, that's correct. Just make sure to set the HGE_USESOUND state to false, remove bass.dll, and you can use whatever sound library you want.

I'm thinking I'll probably enter, but I'm not sure if any of my base code is suitable - what with it being 3D and such. I guess maybe my 1W1B2 code might work but I wish I had some base code that let you do all that SetPixel(x,y) stuff that was so easy 10 years ago and now requires substantial base-code in D3D!
I'm thinking I might try tonight to write an entry on one of the last two themes and see if my code is suitable. Although Fire is a tricky one since I'd spend all my time trying to make a decent fire effect!

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
[...]I wish I had some base code that let you do all that SetPixel(x,y) stuff that was so easy 10 years ago and now requires substantial base-code in D3D![...]
Actually, it is very very easy to create such a thing, just don't use direct X. Use DIBs instead, and you get what amounts to a simple pixel buffer that you can manipulate directly or through the windows GDI functions (for text, basic shapes, etc).

Well yes it IS easy to set up a framework - though I'd certainly use DDraw instead of GDI if I wanted anything much to be drawn. I guess also I could have a dynamic texure in D3D which you set pixels in; this is then drawn on a single quad - easy to set up to give your 'frame-buffer'.

The thing is, whether I can be bothered to do this, and if I could if I would want to write that today and immediately use it tomorrow without testing it...

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Well yes it IS easy to set up a framework - though I'd certainly use DDraw instead of GDI if I wanted anything much to be drawn. I guess also I could have a dynamic texure in D3D which you set pixels in; this is then drawn on a single quad - easy to set up to give your 'frame-buffer'.

The thing is, whether I can be bothered to do this, and if I could if I would want to write that today and immediately use it tomorrow without testing it...

actually, GDI+ is prefect for this contest. It's simple, it has a decent level of performance, and it doesn't require the judges to have any special libraries (remember, if you do require 3rd party libraries, you must distribute them with your submission in a manner that allows the game to be ran immediately, there should be no installation process other than "unzip submission file")

For submissions, you will email either the archive file or a link to the file to capn dot midnight at gmail dot com (replace dots and ats appropriately). gmail has a 10mb file limit. It also does not accept zip files, so I suggest you rename the extension to .txt and then I will rename it to .zip when I receive it. If you use some other form of compression than zip, please specify this. I use WinRAR on my judging machine. I don't know what formats it supports, but I do know it supports tarballs.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg

Solution
Tutorials start off with an opengl pixel display & eventually start to use DX.

SDL, Allegro, Haaf, GDI+, they're all good choices for this contest. There is also a game sdk from PopCap Games. PopCap is intersting because they will even distribute your game if they like it, it's an open call for games made with their framework.

So are we confirmed that it will start 10AM EST tommorow?

EDIT: Yep, we are. First post has been edited to show timezone.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg

You could use DDRAW, but GDI would be plenty performant as long as you keep the resolution down and use things like BitBlt instead of memcpy to move image parts (because it can be hardware accelerated). At work I have an application that use a DIB to scroll a 1280*X image image 1 line at a time and it works fine. The only catch is that StretchBlt (StretchDIBits acts in inconsistant ways on some hardware so avoid it) is very slow when doing massive resizing, so the application does a rezise manually as it loads each line from the harddrive 20 times a second. Yes, that's right - it used DIBits and constantly reads the harddrive and easily gets 20 'FPS' (the required number). It uses under 5% cpu in an optimized build because of all the I/O waits, and still gets 20 FPS doing everything manually.

[Edited by - Extrarius on December 9, 2005 2:28:20 PM]

Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
SDL, Allegro, Haaf, GDI+, they're all good choices for this contest. There is also a game sdk from PopCap Games. PopCap is intersting because they will even distribute your game if they like it, it's an open call for games made with their framework.
The point being it's a bit late to learn a new technology for this contest!

And I can't decide if I want to spend that time since normally I'd rather write big games. I guess I'll see after this contest!

Yeah... if I finish my entry, it will be my first game made using pygame, and I'm having some problems getting it to compile to an exe if I use the built in text rendering.

Quote:
Original post by MonkeyInBlack
Just checking : the contest starts in 30 minutes, right ? Will the theme be announced here ?

yes and yes

Alright, Cap'n... Active Users says you're in this thread, so let's get the theme already [razz]

That's it folks. In 12 minutes we'll start and you will have to A) figure out what the hell "CARTS" means, and B) start coding.

Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
CARTS?? hmmm....that one is tricky... is it all caps for a reason?

I'm not going to say anything else about it. This isn't "guess what's on his mind," this is "suprise him with your interpretation".

Looks like I might have to withdraw. My engine that was working fine last night will no longer draw past like...200,200 -- and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I had such a great plan too.