Freeview

Started by
5 comments, last by MindWipe 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm in the UK. To survive the loneliness of this Christmas till my potential girlfriend returns in January, i'm going to work and watch freeview tv. I have a job. I dont however, have a freeview box. Those in the UK know what this is. Now, I just want a plain old freeview box that will connect to my tv and let me watch these channels: as said on wikipedia. That is, i'm not interested in any extra pay-monthly subscription channels. Just the basics that come with the box. Now,..my question is,...how come some are more expensive that others? Besides the subscription channels, dont they all just show the same channels? Thats my main question,..others,..any pitfalls to look out for? Any reccommendations? My tv has a scart if this helps.
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
Advertisement

bumpy

[Edited by - Access on December 7, 2005 9:12:15 PM]
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
I can't speak for other brands, but I have a Bush digibox. It sucks. The channel controls suffer from random delays, sometimes of several seconds or more. Occasionally, it just locks up and I have to unplug and replug it for it to be usable again. It downloads firmware updates, but they haven't helped. Avoid Bush.

any more takers?
We got the wharfedale from this page. Looked around and it has many good reviews. Two scart sockets which means you can watch terrestrial while recording digital. And a proper on-screen menu system and program guide.

Some cost more because they let you record and watch different digital channels - most don't allow this. Some don't have as many output sockets and don't have a proper on-screen TV-guide. And then some are expensive because of the brand-name or the design. I recommend what we got.
Mm I think another factor in price is the general quality of the firmware. We got about the cheepest box we could find and its a peice of shit. Huge delays on button presses. Imediately re-tunes itself whenever it finds a new channel - which takes about 30 seconds during dramatic moments in most TV programs. It freezes (boo) then restarts automaticaly (yay) but then doesnt actualy display anything on screen and you have to turn it off and on manualy (hiss). Oh and also the remote control goes crazy and changes channels without being asked too.

So yeah, go for mid-high cost/quality.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
Quote:Original post by Access
I'm in the UK.
To survive the loneliness of this Christmas till my potential girlfriend returns in January, i'm going to work and watch freeview tv.

Care to explain what you mean by potential girlfriend?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement