development in non-C++ languages

Started by
21 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 4 months ago
I have an idea for a somewhat ambitious new project, I want to open up a dialogue with users of non-traditional (by which I mostly mean non C-based) languages. This is mainly those of you who are using languages like Python, Ruby, Pike, etc. although not restricted to scripting languages. If you could just answer a few questions I'd really appreciate it, I want to get a feel for what the "market" (no this isn't a commercial product) is, and what language(s) I should target. Question 1. What language are you writing games in? if C++ : go to question 2 otherwise: go to question 4 Question 2. What language do you want to be writing games in? if C++: go to question 4 otherwise: go to question 3 Question 3. What is keeping you from writing games in that language? Question 4. What libraries are you currently using (no matter what language you are using)? Bonus Question 5. If you want to develop games in another language, but aren't due to lack of suitable libraries, would you be interested in working on a project aimed at remedying the situation?
Advertisement
1. C++, FreeBASIC

2. C++, FreeBASIC, D

3. C++: constant revisions in order to do the code "the right way"
FreeBASIC: risk of flaming on C-happy forums (like GDNet), current project (Osiris, a sort of Fake OS similar to the QB GUIs of old)

4. C++: SDL
FreeBASIC: GFXLIB2, SDL

5. I would be interested in working on a set of classes for a D SDL binding (similar to SDL.Net, but for D).
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
1. C++, FreeBASIC

2. C++, FreeBASIC

3. C++: constant revisions in order to do the code "the right way"
FreeBASIC: risk of flaming on C-happy forums (like GDNet), current project (Osiris, a sort of Fake OS similar to the QB GUIs of old)

4. C++: SDL
FreeBASIC: GFXLIB2, SDL

5. I would be interested in working on a set of classes for a D SDL binding (similar to SDL.Net, but for D).

QBAAAAAAAAAAAAAASIC!!!
Question 1. What language are you writing games in?

C/C++, LISP

Question 2. What language do you want to be writing games in?

LISP

Question 3. What is keeping you from writing games in that language?

Mostly the buggy LISP runtime. And the lack of ready to go wrappers.

Question 4. What libraries are you currently using (no matter what language you are using)?

Clanlib (www.clanlib.org). I wrote a C DLL wrapper for it, but that could be done a little better than how I did it.

Bonus Question 5. If you want to develop games in another language, but aren't due to lack of suitable libraries, would you be interested in working on a project aimed at remedying the situation?

I use Corman Common Lisp 2.51. If anyone else uses it and would want to cooperate on tracking down the garbage collecting bugs and improving the FFI a little, I'd be game for working with them.

1: C++
2: C++
4: libpng/libjpeg/mpglib/standard C++ library/tinyxml/a scripting language library of my own/a gui library of my own/a file library of my own.
5: C++ has tons already, bound to be better than mine. I'd like to contribute something to the community, but nothing I've done is that worthy yet.
1 C/C++; Freebasic
2 Freebasic
3 Freebasic: Not much really; C/C++ annoys me sometimes.
4 SDL
5 Well C++ has lots; And the freebasic project is definately on its way.

1. Python

2. Haskell or Scheme

3. For Haskell: Not good enough with monads yet. For Scheme: Not a large enough standard library for my tastes, and no standard FFI (and, thus, no standard way to use modules required for game development)

4. Pygame

5. Probably

1 C++

2 C++

4 plain opengl but constering ogre3d from my next projects
1. C++, Inform
2. A better C++
3. It doesn't seem to exist. I have been taking some preliminary looks at java, c#, and objective c, but I doubt anything will come of it.
4. SDL, OpenGL
5. Probably... if the project needed something done that i'd find either interesting or educational. But I would contribute patches to any problems I ran into.
1. D
4. OpenGL, SDL, SDL_ttf, Cg, ODE, DevIL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement