• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Call for Performance Evaluations

This topic is 4430 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

all, I've been the GP moderator for about four months now, and I'd like to hear from you guys about what you think of my performance to date, and more importantly the forum in general. With the New Year coming up, it's a good time to make some changes if need be, or alternately, to reflect on the good job we've done so far and work for further improvements. Your general suggestions and comments are welcome, but I'm particularly interested in answers to the following questions: -- Do you think the focus of General Programming as a forum is about right? Should it be wider? Narrower? -- Are we attracting the right threads? Do you frequently run into threads in other forums that you think should be here instead? Conversely, do you frequently run into threads here that you think should be in other forums? -- Do you think the forum policies are about right? Do you think they're too harsh? Too lenient? If you could change something, what would you change? -- Do you think the general attitude of posters here is pleasant and professional? Is there anyone you'd like to commend or single out in particular? -- Do you think the general attitude of the moderators in this forum is professional? Do you think I'm doing my job? If not, how could I improve? -- Do you like coming here? Do you find it educational, and do you learn new things? Do you enjoy contributing when you can? Is there something that would make you visit more often? You can post your responses here (anonymously if you prefer), or if you don't feel comfortable providing criticism through the anonymous-posting method, you can e-mail me directly at the address in my profile, kka ita n << at >> gma il.com (remove spaces and substitute '@' where needed). Any and all input is highly appreciated. thanks, -- k2

Advertisement
Overall I find many of the topics here interesting and the people both professional and helpful. My only complaint would be that, being a Linux user, I sometimes find it slightly irritating that many of the posts here are more about the Win32 API or something MSVC-specific. I sometimes feel that Win32/MSVC belongs down under the "Special Interest" category together with .NET, Unix, Java, and Web, but I understand that it is still far too common, among beginners especially, to be considered a "special interest".

I agree somewhat, but maybe not put the Windows/Win32 forum under "Special Interest", but maybe in the same area as GP.

I think the focus is fine, I certainly don't tend to run into threads on other forums that belong here.

The forum policies are definately not too strict. They should defaintely be short enough to read without scrolling (as they are), but you could perhaps add a bit more in, or elaborate a tad more. I can't think what would help most at the moment.

I think a good number of posters here seem quite professional. If I was going to single out anyone, it would be Polymorphic OOP.

I think you're doing exceedingly well here.

This is my favourite forum. I don't think you could do anything to make me come here more.

One improvement that can be done is to continue to move topics on .Net to the .Net forum. This includes questions specifically on C#, ASP.NET, MDX, etc.

Here's a few topics on this forum that are .Net specific that I saw this week:

Apache ASP.NET Error
RichTextBox in .Net 2.0
C# and references
What is C# like?
TEMPLATES and C#
Updating the database in .NET(C#) [SOLVED]
WindowMessage object in C#
Partial classes creating their own forms? (C#)

Bob

Quote:
Original post by cyansoft
One improvement that can be done is to continue to move topics on .Net to the .Net forum. This includes questions specifically on C#, ASP.NET, MDX, etc.

I've actually wrestled with that topic a good deal. One of the nuances of GP is that it's not actually concerned with a specific programming language, and tries to be fairly inclusive in this regard. Often times, a question related to, say, C# is really a question about, say, inheritance or closures (or some other programming concept). For these sorts of questions, the fact that the poster happens to be asking the question in reference to a particular language is merely a coincidence. That is, the question could be exactly the same except that the poster now wants an answer for, say, Haskell.

Otherwise, I agree with you that questions that could only be specific to .NET (for instance, how to create a form in Visual Studio) or MDX, or whatever, should probably be moved to a more appropriate forum. We'll continue to work on figuring out how to draw the line.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It's mostly good, although more topics should be moved to "for beginners".

Quote:
Original post by cyansoft

Here's a few topics on this forum that are .Net specific that I saw this week:

Apache ASP.NET Error
RichTextBox in .Net 2.0
C# and references
What is C# like?
TEMPLATES and C#
Updating the database in .NET(C#) [SOLVED]
WindowMessage object in C#
Partial classes creating their own forms? (C#)

Bob

I didn't even know there was a .NET forum. Seems people don't get down that far. They just stop at the first programming forum they see. I usually don't go farther than the Help Wanted forum.

I don't see how C# specific questions here are any more vile than C++ specific questions which make the majority of 'general programming'.

Things are largely fine, and most definately informative.

I think the FAQ either needs to be finished, or the thread opened up to allow some community interaction to help fill in the blanks.

Otherwise, everything seems fine to me.

CM

Quote:
Original post by Maega
I didn't even know there was a .NET forum. Seems people don't get down that far. They just stop at the first programming forum they see. I usually don't go farther than the Help Wanted forum.

They should probably move Unix, Java, Web, and .NET forums under The Technical Side. I still think GameDev forums need a little rearrangement.

as a fellow moderator of the programming section in a local forum, i have a few "rules" which i try to enforce:

- if a topic is based on a specific language, it should be marked so in the title, like:[c++] namespaces, [java] streams , etc...
imho, this makes the forum more readable and can also help when searching.

- i'm also very sensitive about topic names.
like: "problem", "won't work", etc...
i try to push the users to give more descriptive names

I think you're doing a great job. I can't think of any real problems I have with this forum.

--Focus: I think that having a slightly broader focus wouldn't hurt anything - if it's about actual programming, I don't think it should really be out of place here.

--Thread attraction: Just fine. Tell Drew_Benton to stop hogging the answers to all the threads the rest of us could potentially be helping with! [smile]

--Forum policies: What policies? Common sense aside, I haven't really ever had to think about complying with the forum rules.

--Attitude: Stupid anonymous posters aside (a small minority), almost everyone here who is answering questions is quite pleasant. There are a number of people (we all know who they are) who consistently provide great answers, and a big thanks goes out to them. This is both for the moderators and the regular folks.

--Do I like coming here: Absolutely. I wouldn't have any direction or idea of what I'm doing if it weren't for GameDev.net, and this forum in particular. It truly is a great resource, especially for beginners. The great thing about it is that as we learn, we can start answering questions too. I've noticed that about myself, and I mostly have you guys to thank for it.

Good job.

I'm all around pleased with this place. It's nearly perfect IMO, so don't be changing too many things, you might break something. ;-)

I think the calibre of discussion has dropped significantly in the past year. It's probably because some of my favourite posters have left or don't post often enough anymore.

I don't run a popular forum so I don't know how you can attract more top people, but I think the number of interesting posts and threads have dropped.

I agree with the earlier AP: More posts should be moved to For Beginners. IMHO, any post here that 75% or so of the regulars are able to answer offhand should go in For Beginners. That would allow this forum to concentrate more on the interesting stuff.

Quote:
I don't run a popular forum so I don't know how you can attract more top people, but I think the number of interesting posts and threads have dropped.

You remind me of Sabreman.

Quote:
I agree with the earlier AP: More posts should be moved to For Beginners. IMHO, any post here that 75% or so of the regulars are able to answer offhand should go in For Beginners. That would allow this forum to concentrate more on the interesting stuff.

Seconded.

What about giving C, C++, Java, and .NET each their own forum?

Then implementation problems could go in the appropriate forum and general could be left for algorithms and pseudo-code and such. Though I'm not sure how much that would leave for here, since Gamedev does tend to be more concrete then theoretical, in general.

On a slightly less drastic note, how about giving Win32 its own forum? Personally I'm quite comfortable with the std::library and such, but can't help at all once it gets into WinProc and lpcsWhatever. OpenGL, DX, and Unix have their own forums, so giving Win32 its own one seems reasonable. That or put it in "Alternative Game Libraries" where I think it would be better--Win32 API and MFC and such isn't "General Programming" in my opinion.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel

Seconded, but I'd also like the .NET forum to be abolished (or redefined), and merged with the general programming.

Its thread topic is...

Quote:
"Discussion of all issues related to .NET, including managed DirectX and C#."

...well, lol. All MDX questions are going into the DirectX thread with the prefix [MDX], and C# questions are going into the General Discussions thread with the prefix [C#]. I really don't think C# should be isolated!

Edit: Inaddition, the .NET forum is hardly a suited place for Managed DirectX discussion; Managed DirectX IS DirectX, why would GameDev partition this?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think there should be a limit on the rating users can sink down if they're a GDnet+ member. I have a GDNet+ account on gamedev.net and my rating isn't the best for some reason. People filter out my threads b/c of my low rating. Why should I pay for a service that I can't benifet from?

Some of these issues really don't belong here, you may want to post them in the GDnet: CSI forum.

-- Do you think the focus of General Programming as a forum is about right? Should it be wider? Narrower? About right.

-- Are we attracting the right threads? Mostly. Do you frequently run into threads in other forums that you think should be here instead? Sometimes in Game Programming, those usually get moved though. Conversely, do you frequently run into threads here that you think should be in other forums? Aside from some stuff that usually ends up moved to the Lounge, nope.

-- Do you think the forum policies are about right? Yes. Do you think they're too harsh? Too lenient? If you could change something, what would you change? There tends to be a decent amount of googleable "noise" posts, but I'm not sure what I'd do about that - if anything (I'm not sure it's even a problem)

-- Do you think the general attitude of posters here is pleasant and professional? Is there anyone you'd like to commend or single out in particular? Derek7. But that was awhile ago. I'd commend people, but I'm horrible with names, I'd have to look up all the people who'd make my list.

-- Do you think the general attitude of the moderators in this forum is professional? Do you think I'm doing my job? If not, how could I improve? I think you're doing your job :-).

-- Do you like coming here? Do you find it educational, and do you learn new things? Sometimes. Do you enjoy contributing when you can? Yes. Is there something that would make you visit more often? I'd like to see more posts (Questions, Answers, Etc) on Software Engineering. We have a seperate forum for it, but the "Last Post" timestamps between topics are seperated by days.

Edit: removed reply to offtopic post belonging in CSI.

I haven't actually noticed any moderator action on this forum, which is the best kind. Like any servant, a good mod should be unobtrusive but ever-present; if you do not notice his presence, nor regret his absence, that is the correct balance.

An Insightful Suggestion(not just for this specific forum):

It would save posters, and more importantly, the people that answer peoples questions if everyone had a profile(or multiple profiles)in their account of these things:

-Language
-Compiler
-Operating System
-etc.

for EX.

Profile 1:

Language: Cpp
Compiler: DevCpp
Operating System: Windows XP

(then when you Post a Thread, you select a profile(Profile 1) and it displays it at the top of your post)

This information is the first thing every poster should give and the first thing every person that replies NEEDS! Having multiple profiles would take care of each individual project that people are working on(forum peeps tend to be project oriented). It would save an immense amount of time and frustration for the people that reply.

I am well aware that this is not as easy immplenenting as it sounds, but ONE: it is just a suggestion, and TWO: I believe it would greatly help everyone forum-wide.

hows that for feedback?

O and by the way:
1.GenProgramming is great,splitting it up into other facets would create too many facets and then those who know more than one language would cease to share their knowledge because they would be in their "favorite" forum moreoften.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Florencia Sylvester Anelli
      Hi everyone! I've developed a game called The Last Dog (ZOMBIES + DOGS) and was wondering if you could give it a try in order for me to analyse your behaviour in analytics. Give it a shot! Please download it here: https://florsyl.wixsite.com/thelastdog2 and let me know if you detect any bugs. VIDEO.3gp

• By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By devbyskc
      Hi Everyone,
      Like most here, I'm a newbie but have been dabbling with game development for a few years. I am currently working full-time overseas and learning the craft in my spare time. It's been a long but highly rewarding adventure. Much of my time has been spent working through tutorials. In all of them, as well as my own attempts at development, I used the audio files supplied by the tutorial author, or obtained from one of the numerous sites online. I am working solo, and will be for a while, so I don't want to get too wrapped up with any one skill set. Regarding audio, the files I've found and used are good for what I was doing at the time. However I would now like to try my hand at customizing the audio more. My game engine of choice is Unity and it has an audio mixer built in that I have experimented with following their tutorials. I have obtained a great book called Game Audio Development with Unity 5.x that I am working through. Half way through the book it introduces using FMOD to supplement the Unity Audio Mixer. Later in the book, the author introduces Reaper (a very popular DAW) as an external program to compose and mix music to be integrated with Unity. I did some research on DAWs and quickly became overwhelmed. Much of what I found was geared toward professional sound engineers and sound designers. I am in no way trying or even thinking about getting to that level. All I want to be able to do is take a music file, and tweak it some to get the sound I want for my game. I've played with Audacity as well, but it didn't seem to fit the bill. So that is why I am looking at a better quality DAW. Since being solo, I am also under a budget contraint. So of all the DAW software out there, I am considering Reaper or Presonus Studio One due to their pricing. My question is, is investing the time to learn about using a DAW to tweak a sound file worth it? Are there any solo developers currently using a DAW as part of their overall workflow? If so, which one? I've also come across Fabric which is a Unity plug-in that enhances the built-in audio mixer. Would that be a better alternative?
      I know this is long, and maybe I haven't communicated well in trying to be brief. But any advice from the gurus/vets would be greatly appreciated. I've leaned so much and had a lot of fun in the process. BTW, I am also a senior citizen (I cut my programming teeth back using punch cards and Structured Basic when it first came out). If anyone needs more clarification of what I am trying to accomplish please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice.
    • By Yosef BenSadon
      Hi , I was considering this start up http://adshir.com/, for investment and i would like a little bit of feedback on what the developers community think about the technology.
      So far what they have is a demo that runs in real time on a Tablet at over 60FPS, it runs locally on the  integrated GPU of the i7 . They have a 20 000 triangles  dinosaur that looks impressive,  better than anything i saw on a mobile device, with reflections and shadows looking very close to what they would look in the real world. They achieved this thanks to a  new algorithm of a rendering technique called Path tracing/Ray tracing, that  is very demanding and so far it is done mostly for static images.
      From what i checked around there is no real option for real time ray tracing (60 FPS on consumer devices). There was imagination technologies that were supposed to release a chip that supports real time ray tracing, but i did not found they had a product in the market or even if the technology is finished as their last demo  i found was with a PC.  The other one is OTOY with their brigade engine that is still not released and if i understand well is more a cloud solution than in hardware solution .
      Would there  be a sizable  interest in the developers community in having such a product as a plug-in for existing game engines?  How important  is Ray tracing to the  future of high end real time graphics?
    • By bryandalo
      Good day,

I just wanted to share our casual game that is available for android.

Description: Fight your way from the ravenous plant monster for survival through flips. The rules are simple, drag and release your phone screen. Improve your skills and show it to your friends with the games quirky ranks. Select an array of characters using the orb you acquire throughout the game.

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HellmodeGames.FlipEscape&hl=en

Trailer: 

• Advertisement