Call for Performance Evaluations

Started by
28 comments, last by Zipster 18 years, 3 months ago
all, I've been the GP moderator for about four months now, and I'd like to hear from you guys about what you think of my performance to date, and more importantly the forum in general. With the New Year coming up, it's a good time to make some changes if need be, or alternately, to reflect on the good job we've done so far and work for further improvements. Your general suggestions and comments are welcome, but I'm particularly interested in answers to the following questions: -- Do you think the focus of General Programming as a forum is about right? Should it be wider? Narrower? -- Are we attracting the right threads? Do you frequently run into threads in other forums that you think should be here instead? Conversely, do you frequently run into threads here that you think should be in other forums? -- Do you think the forum policies are about right? Do you think they're too harsh? Too lenient? If you could change something, what would you change? -- Do you think the general attitude of posters here is pleasant and professional? Is there anyone you'd like to commend or single out in particular? -- Do you think the general attitude of the moderators in this forum is professional? Do you think I'm doing my job? If not, how could I improve? -- Do you like coming here? Do you find it educational, and do you learn new things? Do you enjoy contributing when you can? Is there something that would make you visit more often? You can post your responses here (anonymously if you prefer), or if you don't feel comfortable providing criticism through the anonymous-posting method, you can e-mail me directly at the address in my profile, kka ita n << at >> gma il.com (remove spaces and substitute '@' where needed). Any and all input is highly appreciated. thanks, -- k2
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Advertisement
Overall I find many of the topics here interesting and the people both professional and helpful. My only complaint would be that, being a Linux user, I sometimes find it slightly irritating that many of the posts here are more about the Win32 API or something MSVC-specific. I sometimes feel that Win32/MSVC belongs down under the "Special Interest" category together with .NET, Unix, Java, and Web, but I understand that it is still far too common, among beginners especially, to be considered a "special interest".
I agree somewhat, but maybe not put the Windows/Win32 forum under "Special Interest", but maybe in the same area as GP.
daerid@gmail.com
I think the focus is fine, I certainly don't tend to run into threads on other forums that belong here.

The forum policies are definately not too strict. They should defaintely be short enough to read without scrolling (as they are), but you could perhaps add a bit more in, or elaborate a tad more. I can't think what would help most at the moment.

I think a good number of posters here seem quite professional. If I was going to single out anyone, it would be Polymorphic OOP.

I think you're doing exceedingly well here.

This is my favourite forum. I don't think you could do anything to make me come here more.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
There's a good reason why I've been posting here for almost 6 years now. Keep up the good work, you're doing a fine job.
One improvement that can be done is to continue to move topics on .Net to the .Net forum. This includes questions specifically on C#, ASP.NET, MDX, etc.

Here's a few topics on this forum that are .Net specific that I saw this week:

Apache ASP.NET Error
RichTextBox in .Net 2.0
C# and references
What is C# like?
TEMPLATES and C#
Updating the database in .NET(C#) [SOLVED]
WindowMessage object in C#
Partial classes creating their own forms? (C#)

Bob
Quote:Original post by cyansoft
One improvement that can be done is to continue to move topics on .Net to the .Net forum. This includes questions specifically on C#, ASP.NET, MDX, etc.

I've actually wrestled with that topic a good deal. One of the nuances of GP is that it's not actually concerned with a specific programming language, and tries to be fairly inclusive in this regard. Often times, a question related to, say, C# is really a question about, say, inheritance or closures (or some other programming concept). For these sorts of questions, the fact that the poster happens to be asking the question in reference to a particular language is merely a coincidence. That is, the question could be exactly the same except that the poster now wants an answer for, say, Haskell.

Otherwise, I agree with you that questions that could only be specific to .NET (for instance, how to create a form in Visual Studio) or MDX, or whatever, should probably be moved to a more appropriate forum. We'll continue to work on figuring out how to draw the line.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
It's mostly good, although more topics should be moved to "for beginners".
Quote:Original post by cyansoft

Here's a few topics on this forum that are .Net specific that I saw this week:

Apache ASP.NET Error
RichTextBox in .Net 2.0
C# and references
What is C# like?
TEMPLATES and C#
Updating the database in .NET(C#) [SOLVED]
WindowMessage object in C#
Partial classes creating their own forms? (C#)

Bob

I didn't even know there was a .NET forum. Seems people don't get down that far. They just stop at the first programming forum they see. I usually don't go farther than the Help Wanted forum.
I don't see how C# specific questions here are any more vile than C++ specific questions which make the majority of 'general programming'.

Things are largely fine, and most definately informative.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement