Microsoft Certifications. Is it worth it?

Started by
24 comments, last by dwarfsoft 18 years, 4 months ago
Any programmers or IT professionals please chime in. I'm going for my CS degree, but for right now taking a break. I was thinking in the mean time to take some of the MS Certifications for VB.net and C#. Do these certifications make you more "hireable"? Or in the great scheme of things, they mean nothing and are just resume-fillers? Please share your thoughts and/or opinions.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Anything that sets you apart from other CS degree holders is a plus.

Think about it, if there's a job that centers around the use of .NET, and there are 3 people applying for it, 2 have CS degrees, one has a CS degree and a .NET certification. Who would you assume would get hired?

edit: on a side note, when you ask questions like this, think of it in terms of YOU being the hirer. Think of the possible applicants, and then think of whether that would set the potential hiree apart from the rest.

Edit2: Also, it seems like .NET is pretty hot right now, and not as many people as you may think are proficient with it. In the short-term, that cert might be quite useful.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Well, in my opinion the only thing that makes you more "hirable" is your level of skill and experience.

Seriously, though, Microsoft Certification *does* seem to have worked quite well in getting me more interviews, which is a pretty important first step ;)

I've heard both sides from many different people, but I'd say that while the certification doesn't really "prove" anything, it does seem to have served me well personally. When a potential interviewer is sitting and looking at a stack of resumes, every little thing can serve as a part of the decision to keep it or round-file it.

In the great scheme of things, on-the-job performance is the only thing that really means a damned thing in this industry, but you need to get yourself in a position to demonstrate that by getting the interview first, and it's my opinion that certification can help with that.

My $0.02
Basically, they are resume-fillers.
But very good ones.

In my opinion, the tests are pretty comprehensive, but at the same time not very practical. They test really wierd and obscure things about what you are learning (SQL server in my case). They test things that you would almost never use in a real-world on the job situation, and that you could look up quickly and easily if you needed to anyway. By designing the tests this way, they ensure that anyone who passes really knows his shit. This is because in the past, the usefulness of the certifications has always been kind of questionable. MS wants to make sure that the tests distinguish the competant people from the fakers.

My employer requires me to at least get my MCP (pass any 1 test). I had started studying for SQL Server 2000 exam 70-229, but now that SQL Server 2005 is out, I may switch focus to that.
thanks, both of you.

let me put it like this.

if on my resume, I were to say that I have a MS Cert in C# and VB.net but no CS degree (yet, or even an AA in CS) will I be able to compete with someone who has a CS degree? aside from that, will a company hire me if I only have MS Certs?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

In some cases they do make you more "hireable".
I was doing some intern work at a company that is a Microsoft Partner.
By being an MS partner, the company gets extra shit from MS for having so many points. Points are earned several ways, but one of them is by hiring people who have certifications.
There were five of us interns and we were told that if we want a permanent job we must get our MCSD certifications.
We all got certified, and we become official employees next week.
Quote:Original post by ktuluorion
Anything that sets you apart from other CS degree holders is a plus.

Think about it, if there's a job that centers around the use of .NET, and there are 3 people applying for it, 2 have CS degrees, one has a CS degree and a .NET certification. Who would you assume would get hired?

edit: on a side note, when you ask questions like this, think of it in terms of YOU being the hirer. Think of the possible applicants, and then think of whether that would set the potential hiree apart from the rest.

Edit2: Also, it seems like .NET is pretty hot right now, and not as many people as you may think are proficient with it. In the short-term, that cert might be quite useful.

I think this is somewhat true, but only in the "resume pass". Once you've gotten the interview, actual skills, rather than a certification, will get you hired. While certifications prove that you know how it works, it doesn't mean that you can work with it well. It's the same thing as having a degree without experience, really.

That being said, it might be worth it. I'm not quite aware of the pricing for this kind of certs tough. If it's > 2000$, just wait until an employer pay them for you. [wink]

Quote:
thanks, both of you.

let me put it like this.

if on my resume, I were to say that I have a MS Cert in C# and VB.net but no CS degree (yet, or even an AA in CS) will I be able to compete with someone who has a CS degree? aside from that, will a company hire me if I only have MS Certs?

Not in big companies. Your resume will be in the recycle bin as soon as they see you don't have a degree. Smaller shops might. Like I said above, it's all about getting the interview. If you have contacts, you don't need the degree. Then again, if you have contacts, you don't need the cert either...
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Heh...you posted this one while I was writing first reply.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
... aside from that, will a company hire me if I only have MS Certs?

In my case, yeah, the boss doesn't care what kind of degrees we have, he just wanted MCSD programmers.
thanks, both of you.

let me put it like this.

As far as I am aware, no.

Certs don't replace degrees.

Edit: Personally, I would never hire someone with a cert over someone with a CS degree. My reasons? Someone who has a SCIENCE basis can obviously learn .NET. Someone who has a .NET basis is not necessarily a scientist.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Having a certification will get you farther than someone who doesn't, but a certification is no replacement for a degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement