Sign in to follow this  

back buffer texturing a stage

This topic is 4385 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You can't use the same buffer as an input and output for texturing/rendering, so no [smile]

Given the architecture of modern GPU's, at best it becomes a complete mess trying to read and write to the same resource in a sensible manner.

hth
Jack

I thought that was the case. although i have heard of people doing frame buffer fx w/o having to render to texture first. know anything about that? are they just rendering to the texture then texturing a RHW quad over the screen the whole game, so when an effect comes up it's easy? is that a clear question?

-programmer_tom

Quote:
Original post by programmer_tom
i have heard of people doing frame buffer fx w/o having to render to texture first. know anything about that?

I would imagine that such a technique utilizes the various frame buffer blending operations (or, in the case of pixel shaders, "post pixel shader blending"). Such techniques can be quite efficient to implement provided you stick within the boundaries defined by the D3DRS_SRCBLEND and D3DRS_DESTBLEND capabilities.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4385 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.