• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Halsafar

Ubuntu - Boot To Console

This topic is 4541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I asked awhile how to boot to console in Mandriva 06 and that worked fine but Ubuntu apparently uses a different system of runlevels. I wish to boot to console since I have no need for the GUI (only in rare instances have I had to actually use it). I opened up /etc/inittab and noticed there is no implicit console only run level. #Comments from within inittab about the run level #RunLevel 0 - halt #RunLevel 1 - Single-User #RunLevel 2-5 - Multi-User #RunLevel 6 - Reboot #here is the default specified id:2:initdefault: The comp is being bogged down hard, I believe it to be Gnome/GDM. A boot to console without opening Xorg or GDM would probably free me up some essential CPU. Also since this is a server comp I have no need for GUI, I have all the need for speed. Any advice?

Advertisement
I'm using it as a server right now. Any Ubuntu CD will include a server install. The server install does not install Xorg, so no worries about booting without a gui.

Yes but I needed a bit more than a server install.
I just do not need to ever boot xorg/gdm unless I myself ask for it from the console.

I know it is possible I just do not know how to modify the runlevels properly.

You can use update-rc.d to stop gdm from starting when you boot. I don't remember the exact command though. Or you could install rcconf, boot up manager, sysv-rc-conf, or a similar program that makes it easy to edit what gets started when booting up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!