Ubuntu - Boot To Console

Started by
4 comments, last by Halsafar 18 years, 4 months ago
Okay I asked awhile how to boot to console in Mandriva 06 and that worked fine but Ubuntu apparently uses a different system of runlevels. I wish to boot to console since I have no need for the GUI (only in rare instances have I had to actually use it). I opened up /etc/inittab and noticed there is no implicit console only run level. #Comments from within inittab about the run level #RunLevel 0 - halt #RunLevel 1 - Single-User #RunLevel 2-5 - Multi-User #RunLevel 6 - Reboot #here is the default specified id:2:initdefault: The comp is being bogged down hard, I believe it to be Gnome/GDM. A boot to console without opening Xorg or GDM would probably free me up some essential CPU. Also since this is a server comp I have no need for GUI, I have all the need for speed. Any advice?
Advertisement
Ubuntu is great for desktop PC, I've never really thought ubuntu is a good distro to use as a server.

But it appears that there's now an Ubuntu Server Project. More info about it here and you can download it here.
I'm using it as a server right now. Any Ubuntu CD will include a server install. The server install does not install Xorg, so no worries about booting without a gui.
<a href="http://ruggles.hopto.org>My Personal Website
Yes but I needed a bit more than a server install.
I just do not need to ever boot xorg/gdm unless I myself ask for it from the console.

I know it is possible I just do not know how to modify the runlevels properly.
You can use update-rc.d to stop gdm from starting when you boot. I don't remember the exact command though. Or you could install rcconf, boot up manager, sysv-rc-conf, or a similar program that makes it easy to edit what gets started when booting up.
sysv-rc-conf did the job perfectly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement