Sign in to follow this  

What do I need to know?

This topic is 4380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm just wondering what I need to know to make a 2d rpg like tibia (www.tibia.com). I've already got some years of C++ experince but only standard C++ not directx or SDL or anything. So, what do i need to know before I can do a game like that ? Also you maybe got any book suggestions for that I need to learn ? Kind Regard, Joey.

Depending on what you intend to use, with an MMORPG I would recommend DirectX or OpenGL, but you could use SDL. You need to learn of them and your going to need to learn it VERY well. MMORPGS are extremely hard to make regardless if they are 2D or 3D. Given 2D might be easier at some times, the networking programming and massive environment itself will need to be taken into consideration.

I recommend if you intend to ever do this, is for you to get a good foundation in DirectX, OpenGL, or SDL. Learn a ton of networking programming a long with the concept of building multiple servers for your MMORPG to even function at a reasonable speed.

Most people on here can not even make an MMORPG and they have been doing it a long time, don't expect to do this by yourself if anything you will need a team. Really if you want to skip learning some graphics API go out and buy a commercial 2D engine and learn that well. Even then you will need graphic artists and a networking system consisting of servers.

I recommend before you even think about making an MMORPG try to make a basic game first and you'll be surprised by the amount of work to put together something as simple as tetris. Really if you haven not had any graphic API experience though tetris is even too hard for you, start with pong.

This topic is 4380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.