Sign in to follow this  

Rating individual players in team games - TrueSkill?

This topic is 4381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a small multiplayer game with about 150 regular users. Each plays perhaps 20 "official" games per month, with some playing upwards of 60 and some only playing 10 or so. It is a team-based game, and the nature is such that there is no way to collect statistics that directly reflect a player's performance. For example, there's no reliable way to know if a player was playing good defense by tricking the other team, it's very hard to know if a quadruple-bounce pass was intentional or not, etc. So, I am looking for a probabilistic solution - when a player is on a winning team, his rating is somehow increased, regardless of points attributed to him directly. Microsoft's TrueSkill Ranking system takes this approach, and it seems quite well thought out. However, most of the games played in my game are with 2 teams and 3 players per team. According to Microsoft, it will take about 40 games to accurately rate each player. Holy cow... I do not have that kind of time. I want to run a league that takes one month to complete, and then resets (with a potentially changing pool of players, so I cannot keep the same scores). How have you dealt with this in your team-based games? Any thoughts on cutting down this number of 40 games? I imagine that if I can't come up with a better solution I'll still use TrueSkill and just deal with the inaccuracy. And lastly, has anyone implemented a solution like this? My statistics are rusty and I would prefer not to get out my textbooks ;) [Edited by - rileyriley on December 17, 2005 1:45:52 PM]

The Halo 2 ranking system seems a lot simpler (it's actually almost precisely what I have in place now) but it's maintains the "you were on the team, so you must have contributed to the win somehow" attitude that I'm looking for. Again, though, it seems like it probably takes a good 30-40 games to get up to an accurate skill (though I can probably start my players at level 10 instead of level 1).

Any thoughts?

This topic is 4381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.