• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SelethD

how do i 'Install' my program?

This topic is 4688 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive made a multiplication practice program for my kids, and I would like to distribute it to other people. However, I need a way for it to 'install' itself on their computers, like with an install shield. So my question, is this something I have to code into the program, or is it a seperate thing I do? How can I get my program to install? What is it even called, so if I google for it? Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
What are they called? Installers, I believe...

Check these out:

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/installers.html
http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/setup.shtml

You'll find links to many free ones there.

Regards

I recommend using Nullsoft's installer-maker, it's relatively simple (involves producing a script and then running a program), and produces a decent installer.

I think MSFT also offers an MSI package builder, but I don't know about the support this has on non-NT systems.

Please use Inno Setup instead of NSIS. NSIS installers provide no way to customise them for unattended installations, and as a network admin, I often have to repackage them for corporate deployment. Inno Setup also provides better logs, multiple return codes indicating failures, silent uninstalls, etc. Just compare the command line parameters for NSIS with those for Inno Setup and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, InstallShield > *, but I guess you're looking for something free.

EDIT: NSIS == Nullsoft Installer BTW. I just realised nobody in this thread called it that.

[Edited by - Nemesis2k2 on December 17, 2005 5:49:00 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
Is there an application to create installer that comes with visual C++ 2003? Is it good?

Inno Setup is great, and only a couple of MB to download. So why the "comes with VC2003" requirement?

Quote:
Original post by Nemesis2k2
BTW, InstallShield > *, but I guess you're looking for something free.

InstallShield is probably nice if you need all those system restore options (that never seem to work correctly but are good at wasting registry space) or want that completely professional look. It's very picky about system configuration though, on some of my computers some InstallShield packaged programs refuse to install flat out for no apparent reason (works fine after a os reinstall, sometimes, but you can't expect people to reinstall their os in the hope of playing your game). Also, with one recent version of their installer, there was a serious bug related to XP-SP2 installations, afaik.

Anyway, that was just to provide an alternative opinion about InstallShield. Inno Setup is great though, chalk up one more to that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!