Sign in to follow this  

OS Support for DirectX 9

This topic is 4368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys Do you know the platforms that DirectX 9 supports? The readme in the SDK (as of August) does not have the system requirements. I just noticed I was assuming that it supported Windows 98, which is probably a dangerous assumption eek. Aside - have the problems with the October DX SDK sorted out in the December SDK? Cheers

Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
Do you know the platforms that DirectX 9 supports? The readme in the SDK (as of August) does not have the system requirements.

The readme only lists the SDK requirements, but if you look at the end user runtime page, it lists all the OS's. From a quick scan, everything except Win95 and WinME makes the list.

Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
Aside - have the problems with the October DX SDK sorted out in the December SDK?

Any problems in particular? [lol]

If you're referring to the Whidbey MDX parts, they're still in beta as far as I've read - so I don't know how improved they are.

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
The readme only lists the SDK requirements, but if you look at the end user runtime page, it lists all the OS's. From a quick scan, everything except Win95 and WinME makes the list.

Thanks. I'm a fool, I went on microsoft's SDK download page [sad]

Quote:
Any problems in particular? [lol]

If you're referring to the Whidbey MDX parts, they're still in beta as far as I've read - so I don't know how improved they are.

Well I read in the .NET forum that all of D3DX had been accidently left out or something [lol]

I'll have to buy VS 2005 Standard before using MDX 2, pity it's more expensive as they don't do separate langauge versions any more :(

Cheers Jack++

I've just started using MDX on C# express, and I havn't encountered any real problems (other than nothing rendering - but that's probably me [lol]).

You probably know this, but the express versions are free if you download within a year.

Quote:
Original post by sirob
I've just started using MDX on C# express, and I havn't encountered any real problems (other than nothing rendering - but that's probably me [lol]).

Good luck [lol].

Quote:
Original post by sirob
You probably know this, but the express versions are free if you download within a year.

Aye, I did, however I want to sell my game to try and make a bit of money out of it for the 550 (so far) hours I've spent on it.
But - you've just inspired me to get the express for now instead of continuing to use beta 2. Thanks a bunch! [smile]++

EDIT: free for a year? what's got into M$? i'd better get it before they change their mind :p

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by sirob

Aye, I did, however I want to sell my game to try and make a bit of money out of it for the 550 (so far) hours I've spent on it.
But - you've just inspired me to get the express for now instead of continuing to use beta 2. Thanks a bunch! [smile]++

EDIT: free for a year? what's got into M$? i'd better get it before they change their mind :p

Quote:
VS EE FAQ
4. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the Express Editions.

[edit] And they're probably offering it for free because they want more people using their products, notably students and amateur developers. [edit2] See next post. [edit3] Which is in fact your own...

[Edited by - jflanglois on December 17, 2005 4:57:18 PM]

For anyone else reading:

from the Express FAQ:
Quote:

Pricing

10. How much will these products cost?
We are announcing a pricing promotion for Visual Studio Express – for the first year after the products launch on November 7th, 2005, customers will be able to visit MSDN to download their copy of Visual Studio Express for free!**

Our customers are very excited about the release of these products, so this limited-time download is our gift to the hobbyist, student, and novice community – we’re excited to see the amazing applications they’ll build!

Note that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is also a free download. The free pricing for SQL Server Express is not limited to the same one-year promotional period as Visual Studio Express.

[**We plan to launch the non-English versions of the Express products sometime within 2-3 months after the English version launches on November 7th. The same pricing promotion will apply to these products, and will remain in effect for one full year after their respective availabilities.]

11. You said “free for one year” — what does that mean, exactly? Will you be charging for this later?
We originally announced pricing of Visual Studio Express at US$49. We are now offering Visual Studio Express for free, as a limited-in-time promotional offer, until November 6, 2006. Note that we are also offering SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as a free download, and that this offer is not limited to the same promotional pricing period as Visual Studio Express.

12. Do customers who acquire the Visual Studio Express products during the free promotional pricing period have to pay after the first year if they want to continue to use them?
No, as long as you download Visual Studio Express on or before November 7th 2006, you will not have to pay for it.

Quote:
Original post by jflanglois

Quote:
VS EE FAQ
4. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the Express Editions.

[edit] And they're probably offering it for free because they want more people using their products, notably students and amateur developers.

Groovy! Thanks a lot!! ++

Quote:

Well I read in the .NET forum that all of D3DX had been accidentally left out or something [lol]
Cheers Jack++

That was the October 'tech preview'. There are still a couple of things reported missing in the December beta but the accidental omission of most of D3DX appears to have been corrected.

Direct Input GUIds (& Tom's workaround)
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=166730&SiteID=1
(this post is a little angry - don't fan the fires)

TextureLoader.Save (no workaround yet)
http://exdream.dyn.ee/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=2811ff76-f35a-4a8c-add1-9a7adff54180

Quote:
From a quick scan, everything except Win95 and WinME makes the list.

Looks like WinME is supported after all:
Quote:
DirectX (December 2005) improves the graphics, security, and performance of your operating system. Download and install this update for your Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP-based system.

This topic is 4368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.