Sign in to follow this  

Text Based RPG Videos

This topic is 4368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I thought I'd just share some videos I created for beginning programmers. The game is called Wrath Lands and is a text based RPG with items, weapons/armor, enemies, and spells. The video tutorial series isn't completed as I've gotten tied up in other projects but most of the code is there and I encourage you to watch a few to see if it interests you. The videos assume you have a basic understanding of C++ and want to work in an object oriented way (when needed). So turn up the volume and enjoy! Video Tutorials I started this project with a very simple design document and worked on the code as I moved along. All code was created on the fly during recording so some things could probably be written better. As a result, the first few videos I stumble over the code as I'm thinking of a million different things at once on how to setup the framework and progress at the same time. I was going to wait until the series is complete to post the code but if anyone cares to ask I'll gladly link it. Enjoy! Note: These are the first video programming tutorials I have ever made so they aren't the best as I'm not acustomed to speaking my mind and typing at the same time (try it, it's hard :). The next time around I'm pretty sure I could make something a lot better. With that said... If you would like me to make some 2D video tutorials, please reply and let me know. I'd like to see if it's really needed in the community before I jump in. [Edited by - Rasm on December 18, 2005 11:04:26 PM]

I would like to but I would need a lot of people to say that they would watch it to make it worth doing. It takes a lot of work and time away from working on my main project.

Just wondering but how many video tutorials are on the net that walk you through the creation of a unique 2d game start to finish? (not counting pong,breakout,tetris,etc)

If you would really like one, reply or send a request to rasm@rdxgames.net. Please ask others if they would be interested. I enjoy teaching others but finding someone who is dedicated is rare.

there is only One place i know of that has c++ video tutorials and that is
3dbuzz.com .they have opengl ones also
and some over wxWidgets but they cost money,but they do have a special going on
150 dollars for 40 hours of programming content
other than that there is chadstout.com that has sdl video tutorials.

heck and if people really wanted to make some they could go here http://www.camstudio.org/ to get a recorder to record the desktop and then use virtualdub to encode them into the xvid or divx codec

I must admit I was skeptic at first but you seem to have done a very good job with those. [smile]

As for constructive criticism, providing incremental sources, at the rate of one package per episode, would defintaely add a lot of quality to the final product. That way, if people want to check something real quick, they just have to have their IDE open while watching.

Quote:
Original post by ostamo1
there is only One place i know of that has c++ video tutorials and that is
3dbuzz.com .they have opengl ones also
and some over wxWidgets but they cost money,but they do have a special going on
150 dollars for 40 hours of programming content
other than that there is chadstout.com that has sdl video tutorials.

Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that their aren't more. With as many people interested in game programming as there are, I'd imagine there to be many makeshift video tutorials. This changes things as I expected any work I do to dissapear into the mush pot of knowledge. As far as charging for a video tutorial, I don't think I would ever do that but I wouldn't turn down a donation.
Quote:
Original post by ostamo1
heck and if people really wanted to make some they could go here http://www.camstudio.org/ to get a recorder to record the desktop and then use virtualdub to encode them into the xvid or divx codec

I used Windows Media Encoder for Wrath Lands. It's provided free from microsoft and has many options for recording and output. I have virtual dub as well but I haven't needed to edit or compress any videos with it.

Quote:
Original post by JohnSchwartz
Before I head out to work, I just wanted to take the time and let you know I'm liking the tutorial so far. Your effort is appreciated.

A 2D tutorial would be very interesting.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm glad to hear that more people are watching it.
Quote:
Original post by jfclavette
I must admit I was skeptic at first but you seem to have done a very good job with those.

As for constructive criticism, providing incremental sources, at the rate of one package per episode, would defintaely add a lot of quality to the final product. That way, if people want to check something real quick, they just have to have their IDE open while watching.

Thanks. You make an excellent point. If I make more videos I will definately do that. Out of curiosity what do you mean by you were skeptic at first?

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that their aren't more. With as many people interested in game programming as there are, I'd imagine there to be many makeshift video tutorials. This changes things as I expected any work I do to dissapear into the mush pot of knowledge. As far as charging for a video tutorial, I don't think I would ever do that but I wouldn't turn down a donation.

i never meant for you to make them pay i was just pointing out that there where really few Good programming Video Training tutorials out there

and about the virtual dub was just suggesting a way to keep the files smaller

Rasm, you are really helpful person,
I am really appreciate what you have done.
I know it is really diffcult to make this tutorials.
I hope beginner enjoy watching it.
The last words I want to say is "The world need person like you".

:D :D :D

Quote:
Original post by invisal
Rasm, you are really helpful person,
I am really appreciate what you have done.
I know it is really diffcult to make this tutorials.
I hope beginner enjoy watching it.
The last words I want to say is "The world need person like you".

:D :D :D

Thank you. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

I'm seriously considering making some 2d tutorials. I understand some people are visual learners and trying to read through pages of code is duanting. I would really like to help people but due to the amount of time I have I would have to drop my (entry game industry) project to work on it. So far 4 people are interested and would probably take a look at it. I'm not sure what to do.

Quote:
Original post by invisal
I got another suggestion, you should include source code for each Part 1, It would be great :D

wll if he does that they will not type it and make mistakes
the few videos i have watched i am so glad they never provided code b/c i would not have made errors and learned how to fix them.so i think (personally) that no code should be provided so they can truly learn.

Quote:
Original post by ostamo1
Quote:
Original post by invisal
I got another suggestion, you should include source code for each Part 1, It would be great :D

wll if he does that they will not type it and make mistakes
the few videos i have watched i am so glad they never provided code b/c i would not have made errors and learned how to fix them.so i think (personally) that no code should be provided so they can truly learn.

I think I will leave it up to the learner to decide whether they want to download the source for the section. I believe that everyone should work along with the video tutorials and type the code out themselves but in case they miss something they could have the source to compare and see what they missed rather than have to watch the video through again. Also for the people who just want to learn how to do one part of a section, it would be easier to skim through the code than watch the whole video.

Just wondering but how long do you guys think a video tutorial should be? 30 minutes, 1 hour, or shorter/longer?

Quote:
Original post by exorcist_bob
I was also skeptical, but you pulled through. Great Job!

Thanks. Your the second to be skeptical at first glance. Is it the way it's presented or are there people who try to teach and do a bad job?

Thanks alot. I was really having problems trying to make a text based game. But just with watching a little bit of your tut I have realized many of my mistakes.

All your effort and work is very appreciated! :) :) :) :) :)

thanks for these tutorials they are very good (though the sound is really low)

Still I would have pefered more explinaton as to why things are done and why they are done thay way. You tutorials while helpful are hard for a begininer like me and are most like a walkthough rather than a teaching aid.

Still great job.. lots to injest in those files!

Quote:
Original post by DeathsBargin
Thanks alot. I was really having problems trying to make a text based game. But just with watching a little bit of your tut I have realized many of my mistakes.

All your effort and work is very appreciated! :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm glad to have helped you and I wish the best of luck in your projects.

Quote:
Original post by jyujinkai
thanks for these tutorials they are very good (though the sound is really low)

I appoligize for the low sound. I started recording with a mic that stands on my desk and so I had to lean and speak directly into while typing. It was a pain and part way through I switched to a headset with a mic and it is not as quiet.
Quote:
Original post by jyujinkai
Still I would have pefered more explinaton as to why things are done and why they are done thay way. You tutorials while helpful are hard for a begininer like me and are most like a walkthough rather than a teaching aid.

Still great job.. lots to injest in those files!

I probably should have explained the reasons why I did them. Many times I hesitate as I'm thinking of the problems as I'm writing the code. I usually then backup and delete stuff or move some lines when I should probably explain my reason that I did it. As far as the reason I created objects and sorted them accordingly I could have probably created a seperate video discussing the technical reasons but at the time I was sort of winging the very creation of the game.

I think I realize why people maybe skeptical at first because after watching the first video in a learning perspective I see that I just jumped in and started typing. When making the first few videos nothing was set in stone so I paused a lot and made some blairingly obvious mistakes that I eventually corrected but makes me look like an idiot at first glance. After a few videos, when the framework was setup and I started working on the game mechanics, I start moving along and getting into better stuff.

This is completely awesome! I love it so much. You have my many thanks and kudos, man. This is astounding. I am loving every minute of your tutorials. If you're willing, I'd love to see more from you! I am definitely bookmarking your site and eagerly awaiting new installments. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Kevinator
This is completely awesome! I love it so much. You have my many thanks and kudos, man. This is astounding. I am loving every minute of your tutorials. If you're willing, I'd love to see more from you! I am definitely bookmarking your site and eagerly awaiting new installments. [grin]

Thank you. I'm very glad you are enjoying the series. I hope it leads to your very own text RPG as I'd like to see what more creative minds can do. =)

Quote:
Original post by ostamo1
i think the time of the video should be no longer than and hour to an hour and a half

you can break things into sections so that it keeps file sizes down and such.

Thanks for the suggestion. I figure around that time people's brains would start to overload or would need to just take a break.

I have given it much thought and I have decided to start a 2d video tutorial series! I have been monitoring my sites bandwidth usage and have found that my video tutorials are being downloaded quite a lot (~2GB in 3 days). I want to thank all of you who took the time to reply as you made more of an inpact on whether I should create more videos or not. As a general forum theory goes, for every 1 that replies, 5 agree but do not post. I will create a new project page for the new series and provide a link to it on several pages including the Wrath Lands page, for those that bookmarked it. I will also be setting up some forums for those that have questions about certain topics that aren't discussed or need more explanation.

The 2D video tutorials will again be programmed in C++ but will require the DirectX 9 SDK. I have chosen Directx as the graphics API because of a) it's easy to blit images using the D3DX Library, b) I am most comfortable using it and, c) industry professionals use it to make games.

Now I already have some ideas for what type of game I will teach but I think some input from the people who will be watching it is more important.

What type of game would you like to see 2d video tutorials on?
RPG, Run & Gun(shooter), adventure, platform, hybrid, etc ?

I have already decided not to do a puzzle or a classic arcade game as there are already tons of tutorials and complete source code availible.

Some facts about Wrath Lands...
Part 4 (Weapons,monsters,entities) is the most popular video.
Part 8 (Potions,inventory,spells) is the 2nd most popular.
Wrath Lands up to video 11 takes 11 hours 46 minutes and 47 seconds to watch.
These videos total ~100MB. (not counting introduction)

I'm glad to hear that you have decided to add more video tutorials.

Even though it sounds like a foreboding amount of work, I would love to see another RPG. As the above poster suggested, perhaps you could even work off of Wrathlands and update it to a graphical version. The reason I would like to see an RPG is that they seem to have a rich set of functions that requires the programmer to think about many different problems.

I for one will be eagerly awaiting your new tutorials. But I still have to finish the Wrathlands videos first! [grin]

This topic is 4368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.