Text Based RPG Videos

Started by
51 comments, last by obi-wan shinobi 18 years, 3 months ago
Greetings! I thought I'd just share some videos I created for beginning programmers. The game is called Wrath Lands and is a text based RPG with items, weapons/armor, enemies, and spells. The video tutorial series isn't completed as I've gotten tied up in other projects but most of the code is there and I encourage you to watch a few to see if it interests you. The videos assume you have a basic understanding of C++ and want to work in an object oriented way (when needed). So turn up the volume and enjoy! Video Tutorials I started this project with a very simple design document and worked on the code as I moved along. All code was created on the fly during recording so some things could probably be written better. As a result, the first few videos I stumble over the code as I'm thinking of a million different things at once on how to setup the framework and progress at the same time. I was going to wait until the series is complete to post the code but if anyone cares to ask I'll gladly link it. Enjoy! Note: These are the first video programming tutorials I have ever made so they aren't the best as I'm not acustomed to speaking my mind and typing at the same time (try it, it's hard :). The next time around I'm pretty sure I could make something a lot better. With that said... If you would like me to make some 2D video tutorials, please reply and let me know. I'd like to see if it's really needed in the community before I jump in. [Edited by - Rasm on December 18, 2005 11:04:26 PM]
Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them.- Orison Swett Marden
Advertisement
So far i am enjoying them
it would be interesting if you carried it on and made it a 2d game.
I would like to but I would need a lot of people to say that they would watch it to make it worth doing. It takes a lot of work and time away from working on my main project.

Just wondering but how many video tutorials are on the net that walk you through the creation of a unique 2d game start to finish? (not counting pong,breakout,tetris,etc)

If you would really like one, reply or send a request to rasm@rdxgames.net. Please ask others if they would be interested. I enjoy teaching others but finding someone who is dedicated is rare.
Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them.- Orison Swett Marden
there is only One place i know of that has c++ video tutorials and that is
3dbuzz.com .they have opengl ones also
and some over wxWidgets but they cost money,but they do have a special going on
150 dollars for 40 hours of programming content
other than that there is chadstout.com that has sdl video tutorials.

heck and if people really wanted to make some they could go here http://www.camstudio.org/ to get a recorder to record the desktop and then use virtualdub to encode them into the xvid or divx codec
Before I head out to work, I just wanted to take the time and let you know I'm liking the tutorial so far. Your effort is appreciated.

A 2D tutorial would be very interesting.
I must admit I was skeptic at first but you seem to have done a very good job with those. [smile]

As for constructive criticism, providing incremental sources, at the rate of one package per episode, would defintaely add a lot of quality to the final product. That way, if people want to check something real quick, they just have to have their IDE open while watching.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by ostamo1
there is only One place i know of that has c++ video tutorials and that is
3dbuzz.com .they have opengl ones also
and some over wxWidgets but they cost money,but they do have a special going on
150 dollars for 40 hours of programming content
other than that there is chadstout.com that has sdl video tutorials.

Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that their aren't more. With as many people interested in game programming as there are, I'd imagine there to be many makeshift video tutorials. This changes things as I expected any work I do to dissapear into the mush pot of knowledge. As far as charging for a video tutorial, I don't think I would ever do that but I wouldn't turn down a donation.
Quote:Original post by ostamo1
heck and if people really wanted to make some they could go here http://www.camstudio.org/ to get a recorder to record the desktop and then use virtualdub to encode them into the xvid or divx codec

I used Windows Media Encoder for Wrath Lands. It's provided free from microsoft and has many options for recording and output. I have virtual dub as well but I haven't needed to edit or compress any videos with it.

Quote:Original post by JohnSchwartz
Before I head out to work, I just wanted to take the time and let you know I'm liking the tutorial so far. Your effort is appreciated.

A 2D tutorial would be very interesting.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm glad to hear that more people are watching it.
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
I must admit I was skeptic at first but you seem to have done a very good job with those.

As for constructive criticism, providing incremental sources, at the rate of one package per episode, would defintaely add a lot of quality to the final product. That way, if people want to check something real quick, they just have to have their IDE open while watching.

Thanks. You make an excellent point. If I make more videos I will definately do that. Out of curiosity what do you mean by you were skeptic at first?
Quote:Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that their aren't more. With as many people interested in game programming as there are, I'd imagine there to be many makeshift video tutorials. This changes things as I expected any work I do to dissapear into the mush pot of knowledge. As far as charging for a video tutorial, I don't think I would ever do that but I wouldn't turn down a donation.

i never meant for you to make them pay i was just pointing out that there where really few Good programming Video Training tutorials out there

and about the virtual dub was just suggesting a way to keep the files smaller

Rasm, you are really helpful person,
I am really appreciate what you have done.
I know it is really diffcult to make this tutorials.
I hope beginner enjoy watching it.
The last words I want to say is "The world need person like you".

:D :D :D
DinGY
Yesterday is history.Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift"
Quote:Original post by invisal
Rasm, you are really helpful person,
I am really appreciate what you have done.
I know it is really diffcult to make this tutorials.
I hope beginner enjoy watching it.
The last words I want to say is "The world need person like you".

:D :D :D

Thank you. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

I'm seriously considering making some 2d tutorials. I understand some people are visual learners and trying to read through pages of code is duanting. I would really like to help people but due to the amount of time I have I would have to drop my (entry game industry) project to work on it. So far 4 people are interested and would probably take a look at it. I'm not sure what to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement