Air Resistance

Started by
20 comments, last by Jacob Roman 18 years, 4 months ago
I think I found it in link #2. Would it be these?

v = v - k * v

v = v - k * v - m * v2

With k being the drag coefficient?
Advertisement
Yeah, try this

I removed the physics part of my engine atm, but i will try it as soon as possible too, cause i'm programming with 2d too
-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
In the rigid body simulator I'm developpin', I use the following formula to compute the amount of force the fluid is applying on my rigidbody:

F = 0.5*C*p*A*v²

C -> coefficient of friction of the surface (I usually use something like 0.3)
p -> fluid density(air density is aproximatelly 1.29kg/m³)
A -> surface area in m²
v -> surface velocity in m/s²

This way you get the force in Newtons that the fluid resistance is applying on the surface. Since in my rigidbody simulator I use convex polyhedra objects, I compute the force that is being applied on each triangle of the object and then I just sum all them. It gives me good results. I'm satisfacted with them.

I still cant find the thread with terminal velocities discussion. It would be good to find it, cause there were suggestions for stable solver.
-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
So earths air density is 1.29 kg/m3? Does that mean I have to make the constant 1.293 or just leave it at 1.29? Since I'm working in 2D, I'm not sure if I should make it squared instead of cubed.
heheh...

'kg/m³' its just the unit of the 'density'...it means you must use 1.29...for water for example, you'd use 1000 since the water density is 1000kg/m³
Ok, 1.29 it is. Since I'm not worried about friction too much in my case, I can just leave C out then? Which would be this now:

F = 0.5 * 1.29 * Surface_Area * Velocity²
getting C out from the formula, you're assuming your object's surface has a coefficient of friction of 1.0. If you set C to 0.0, you'll get no friction meaning without friction, doesn't exist air resistance. You must put a value at there.
Drag is a force that is related to several things:

1. The size of the object

2. The speed of the object (squared)

3. The thickness of whatever the object is travelling through

If you treat the drag D as just another force (using the equations from our discussion on jumping), then the (simplified) equation for drag force D is this:

D = C * A * V^2;

Where A is the cross-section area of the object
V is the velocity of the object
C is a tuning constant, which should be whatever looks best.

Implement it with your other forces so that

F = D + G + O;

Where G is gravity, and O is other stuff.
Then get your acceleration as usual.

Is this related to your jumping objects?
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
As for jumping, do you really need air resistance for jumping. If you make a character which jumps, then its an big effort for such a simple thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement