Sign in to follow this  

[REQ] Nintendo Samples - FL/Reason

This topic is 4370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think the sound can be created with any simple synth (a square wave will work)

jump <----- using a regular square wave and changing pitch up
(use an envlope with moderate attack time and no decay or release to modulate the pitch.

the songs <---notation can be found can be found almost anywhere
just use simple waves

this is all off the top of my head based on experiance, I actually had a friend make a play on the song and he just used simple synthisis and it sounded great. It should be fun to mess around with tho..
as for what synth-- really any would do. it cant be called synth if it dont make those simple sounds

edit--
sorry also im assuming you want mario

but for the classic nintedo feel, its just symple synths,, saw sine and square waves... and their might be a little FM and AM synthisis

I am sure the only way to get that old nintendo sound is to fumble around with the patches you already have in Reason and FL.

If I am wrong please let me know, this topic really interests me.

As far as I know the NES had five sound channels:
2 Square waves
1 Triangle Wave
1 Noise
1 PCM

The square and triangle wave channels are pretty straight forward. Many games used them for simple sound effects as well as melody, harmony and bass portions.

The noise channel, if I'm guessing correctly, is just static sound. It is often used for various sounds effects or rythym portions.

The PCM channel could be used to play very low quality PCM-based wave samples. Probably around like 8Khz, 8-bit, mono. This channel often used for playing simple wave-based rythym samples and sound effects.

Each channel has it's own pitch and volume (actually, I'm not sure about the pitch for PCM, I kind of doubt it). This allows additional effects to applied to sounds. Using patterns to rapidly change volume, or switching a channel on/off, can produce some of the more 'exotic' effects found in some games.

Perhaps more reseach on the net would do you well? Ahem *emulators*. Cough cough.

Emulators is actually kind of what inspired this idea. I was hoping someone was 10 steps ahead of me and did this already though. :/ I'm too lazy to code. :(

Coding shouldn't be needed. You mentioned FL? As it just so happens, I recently downloaded the trial version and am fiddling around with it now (I'll buy it after the Holidays when my credit card stops smoking ;)

What kind of plug-in's do you have for it. Both the "3x Osc" and "Sytrus" are excellent for this because they can be shaped very easily to match a Nintendo and still add a lot of 'meat' to what would otherwise be a shrill sound. Even if you don't have such plug-ins, you could use a sound editor to create some samples and use them. It very easy to create basic FM square and triangle samples. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds! As far as noise, well, that is just static like I stated before, and the PCM is just a crummy-quality sound sampler.

All-in-all, it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to setup a simple, five-channel, NES project in FL Studio.

I haven't tried these vst instruments yet, but I just happened to stumble onto this page the other day:

http://www.jackdark.net/darkwarefree.html

Descriptions:
BIT BOY
A synth for circuit bent video game noises.
Imagine if you took all your favorite ol'skool gaming console's synthesizers,
and merged them together, and then circuit-bent the pile...
that's what BitBoy sounds like.
You can get SID sounds... Atari blips... Genesis leads... all LFO'd and FX'd to hell and back.
(Hint: Try the presets first.)

SID BOY
My first stab at that SID chip sound of yore.
Hits and misses, try the presets!
Worthy, methinks, but hardly my final attempt at a Sound Interface Device emulation.

I don't use FL, but I'm pretty sure it can use vst instruments.

Quote:
nintendo samples

i remember people made a lot of nintendo sounds for ft2 and FL can read FT2 instruments if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
If you can use Soundfonts, there are a couple of decent ones here: Zophar's Domain

Some of those are NICE! I really like the SNES ones. Particularly the SQUARESOFT SF's.

However, the regular NES SF's that the sites offers up are terrible. The sound isn't 'pure' enough. The structure of the wave form is to wide (spacious). Its needs to be thinner and tinnier...hmmm...

thx for the link.

Rate++

Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
If you can use Soundfonts, there are a couple of decent ones here: Zophar's Domain

Some of those are NICE! I really like the SNES ones. Particularly the SQUARESOFT SF's.

However, the regular NES SF's that the sites offers up are terrible. The sound isn't 'pure' enough. The structure of the wave form is to wide (spacious). Its needs to be thinner and tinnier...hmmm...

thx for the link.

Yeah thats my problem too. I want pure sounds, not just any sounds.

This topic is 4370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.